[b]Building Regs - Do i need a room thermostat?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Under new building regs i.e. in order to get a commissioned job signed off, do i need a room thermostat with a condenser combi? There is a digital display on the front of the the boiler (Glowworm 24cxi) which shows you what the water pressure is and what the temperature is. when you turn the analogue dial up on the heating, you can see the temperature increasing.

So in that case, do i need a room thermostat to get the job signed off?

Cheers for the help

Sponsored Links
there is a seperate control for HW on the front of the boiler and an analague timer. So i definately need a thermostat cos there is an analogue dial on the front of the boiler to vary the temp of the heating and a seperate one for the water temp?

Sponsored Links
"Boiler interlock" is the function the ROOM thermostat is put to, removing the demand for burner and pump when the room temperature is correct. Building Regs require it, so it MUST be done.

I can never understand the need to question this. To expect a purely mechanical device to control the massive force of central heating flow water acurately both when warmth is satisfied and then to recover to the open position when it's too cold acurately is an impossibility, as we find from those useless devices we are these days forced to fit TRV's.

Yet that beautifully sensetive to minor fluctuations with an ability to predict satisfaction ahead of time, device that only has a very little effort to perform of making or breaking electrical contact, the room thermostat meets so much opposition.

I have a room stat correctly sized and balanced rads and wouldn't have a trv ion the place, JP can stick it in his pipe and smoke it. I haven't made a major change and don't intend to make one!

His point is people always moan and question the need for a room stat, but, they never moan or question the need for TRV's and as rightly stated by paul TRV's are useless, a room stat is the best option for controling the heating system and before anyone says they control the temperature of individual rooms, rubbish, they can only read the temperature within a small area around them, which is right next to the radiator, the TRV does not know what size room it is in so can not give an accurate overall reading of the room temperature, as paul said a correctly balanced system with room stat is best and the better option would be to zone the heating, bedrooms and living areas, both with there own room stats and time controls.
TRV's in my opinion are useless, I only fit them because I have to to comply, but I would not given the choice.
So to answer the original question, yes, you do need a room stat.

Exactly what I meant.

It truly mistifies me how many people ask "do I really have to have a roomstat?"

Durr, yes for John Prescott, but more importantly yes for yourself, then if you have any sense remove the heads of your trv's and balance your rads. Keep the useless trv heads in a drawer for when JP comes to call and if he says anything say you took them off for cleaning.

I was about to ask same question, that is 'do i need room stat'?

My system that is going to installed is underfloor heating downstairs and rads upstairs. I asked same question to my plumber, told me no need for stat upstairs use TRV's. Is he right?

yes and no

you dont have to have to inetrlocks according to basic practice of CHeSS but if you can zone out out stairs with a two port valve and another room stat plus the trv's you would be conforming to best practice

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back