[b]Ideal Boiler lossing pressure and rads making clanking no

afy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys

I recently moved into a house with a very old boiler...ideal C80FF - 1998.
The problem is when i switch on the CH, the boiler starts to loose pressure and i can tell this because the radiator pipes start to make a clanking noise.
This results in me having to top up the boiler every other week but recently its gone worse and it means i have to top it up every few days!
When the boiler starts in CH mode, it makes a weezing like noise which can be heard running down the pipes, which later turns to a whistling noise and i go running to switch everything off!
With the wonderful British weather - COLD - i really need some advise on how i can resolve this painful issue.

Any tips\ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Afy

Sponsored Links
I have to constantly keep on topping the pressure to 1.5 and it is only then the noises go away. But then a few days later, the noises return and the pressure has dropped again.
i have bled all rads, some had air in them but all ok now. i have checked all rads and pipes under boiler for leaks but cannot see anything obvious.
No idea whats going on here? is the pressure leaking from within the boiler and thus causing all the annoying noises?

Have a look at the copper pipe that goes outside, is it dripping ? you possibly have a leak under the floor if you cant see any damp patches.

Sponsored Links
yes i have checked the copper pipe out to the wall - no leak visible. there is no damp signs in any room. the boiler is located in the loft and the radiators are spread over two floors.
you think its a leak in the pipes below the floorboards?

If it is a slow leak, it could well be that the valves are weeping. Check the top under the knobs, where the spindle goes into the body. If it does not look clean, replace.

do you mean the valves at either side of the radiators? i checked last night for any water droppage from them but nothing. The valves are old and so the colour reflects their age i suppose.
There was one valve cap (not the one u turn to increase water input to the radiators) that has its screw opened abit to the point that the white cap is loose and moves around abit - could this be leaking air?
Or are you refering to any valves underneath the boiler?

Thanks

todays update -- after work i went to tackle the CH system again. as mentioned earlier, i tightened the screw on the radiator with the white cap loose (are these balancing valves or something?) at the same time, i noticed some water drips from two rads, not sure if the rad is leaking or condensation due to the freezing weather?
I decided to tight the screw on all rads, not sure what this may do but just thought i give it a shot! I did this while the CH was on, the noises still remain.... what are the second valves on each radiator (plain white cap) and what happens if i tighten the screw on each valve?

you need to look UNDER the caps and knobs, may have to undo screws to take them off.

a few hours later i noticed the same two radiators are again showing signs of water drips. i lifted the carpet where pipe goes down into the floor and can confirm the carpet underlayer is wet and there is wet patch on the wood where the pipe inserts. The second radiator also has same signs...can this be the cause of my boiler pressure drops? i assume these valves are leaking? i will get a spanner tomorrow and attempt tighting the nuts on each side of valve....
thing is, the boiler drops pressure from 1.5 to 0.4 after only a few days....so thats alot of water being lost, am a little reluctant to believe all that water is constantly leaking from these two valves?????? cos i wud have thought there would be a big patch of dampness or more wetness on the wooden floor?

What you tink?

In a sealed system you dont need a massive ammount of water to lose pressure. Tighten the nuts and see how it goes.

todays update -- after work i went to tackle the CH system again. as mentioned earlier, i tightened the screw on the radiator with the white cap loose (are these balancing valves or something?) at the same time, i noticed some water drips from two rads, not sure if the rad is leaking or condensation due to the freezing weather?
I decided to tight the screw on all rads, not sure what this may do but just thought i give it a shot! I did this while the CH was on, the noises still remain.... what are the second valves on each radiator (plain white cap) and what happens if i tighten the screw on each valve?

From your description it sounds like they are the lockshield valves and are indeed for balancing the system. If you tighten the screw under the cap it restricts/stops flow to the radiator. To be sure are you talking about the lockshields are they on the rad where the pipe enters the radiator???? You need the lockshields open to allow flow and return through the rads, however the rads nearer the boiler/pump will need restricting to some degree to gain balance in your system.
Pressure drops will be a leak somewhere and even a tiny leak will drop the pressure considerably. Re check all rads and trace back as much pipework as you can whilst the system is running and under full pressure.
Another check is to place a clear bag over the pipe that exits the house outside (tape it on somehow) and see if you get any water in there. If so your PRV maybe be passing. I in the past have had some right royal fun and games tracing miniature leaks on CH systems I remember one that was losing pressure quite steadily over a week or so and the leak itself was so tiny it was literally drying as it leaked and only seemed to leak when the boiler was running.
Happy hunting

Oops missed your last post (time for bed lol) and there is your problem stop them leaking and your good. Just hope there aren't anymore..!

hi guys, thanks for all your advice above. Last night i wrapped a bag around one of the leaking radiator valves (the valve u turn to get the radiator more hotter), i woke up today morning and the bag contained a cup full amount of water!!!! i used a spanner to tighten the nut, but the water is not dripping from the large nut - its dripping from the top of the white cap, i assume below the white cap where the screw enters the joint!
i have closed the valve (turn the white cap completely round away from the 'on' sign). will this stop any water excess water entering the radiator now or the joint? what do i need to do stop water entering or getting near this faulty valve?
Secondly and most importantly i assume this entire valve joint (white cap and below) needs replacing? any idea how i can do this or is this one for a plumber?

Thanks

I'm not sure where the valve is leaking from.
Is it from around the adjustment shaft? In which case carefully tightening the silver nut (arrowed) which surrounds this shaft should stop the leak.

thats right - it does seems to be leaking from the adjustment shaft but how do i remove the white spiral cap? it has a screw in the middle? do i simply unscrew that? Because when i turn the screw, the white spiral cap also moves.

please see below image which shows where the drips of water are coming from - below the white cap.

//www.diynot.com/network/afy/albums/ [/img]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back