B&Q Again - Update - You HAVE TO READ THIS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon All,

Thought I would just like to give a little rant about what happened this afternoon.

The father of my sisters partner, has just purchased a new cooker.

The instructions state H0V5-F cable 3 x 4mm2.

I recommended the best course of action would be to ask at an electrical wholesalers, but to try B&Q and Screwfix.

Anyway my sisters partner (who said has no idea what he was looking for) decided to go to B&Q since he was doing the weekly shopping nearby.

He had the cable details from the instructions with him, went to the B&Q store, asked for help.

The chap in the store seemed very 'convincing' he knew what he was talking about and suggested the cable needed was a new type of cable that had come out.

Anyway, guess what - he ended up getting sold 10 metres of Nexans 6mm single core Earthing cable!!!!!!!! (saying that, the label on the front of the cable packaging, had a oven and hob sketched on to it)

(He ended up going to a local wholesaler, and the correct cable has been ordered)

Regards

Sponsored Links
You expect an employee of somewhere like B&Q to be an electrician? Or a plumber or a carpenter?

:eek::LOL:

Sponsored Links
You expect an employee of somewhere like B&Q to be an electrician? Or a plumber or a carpenter?

:eek::LOL:
No not at all, I didn't think B & Q would stock the cable anyway, hence the reason why I generally recommended a wholesalers. It was a case of my sister's partner happening to be shopping nearby, therefore a case of 'no harm just to have a look'. He admitted he had no idea what he was looking for and I didn't expect any B&Q employees to be professional like you suggested.

It came as no surprise at all to me, like another poster suggested.

Regards

The chap in the store seemed very 'convincing' he knew what he was talking about and suggested the cable needed was a new type of cable that had come out.
Was this him?

upload_2018-11-14_19-33-25.gif

I agree, you can't expect people at such places to know all that much about what they sell - at least any technical details.
However, when asked a technical question - they should not offer an answer unless they've got it from the technical department that they should have access to via a quick phone call.

Perhaps a kicking from Trading Standards might make them pay attention.

But first we'd need to equip TS with boots heavy enough for the kicking to actually hurt.

Luckily B & Q have a 45 day returns policy.

Since the product is not suitable for the application the customer asked for, I think there is a right to return it regardless of the retailer's policy.

Just to let you all know, the correct cable arrived at the wholesalers, job done.

I gave the reel of earthing cable back to my sister's partner, who took it back to B&Q and has had a refund.

The interesting bit:

My sister's partner mentioned to me the person who recommended it in B&Q, a young lad, actually suggested to cut it into three lengths for the three different conductors and to tape the three conductors together with tape to hold them together.

It was also said, "There is plenty of cable there, so you have enough if you ever have to connect another cooker".

:eek::rolleyes::unsure: The mind boggles

Thinking about it, although the 6mm cable capacity would be adequate and type of connections in the cooker would have gripped it firmly, I can consider several issues with this:

The cables will only be insulated, not sheathed
The cord grip in the cooker connection box and wall outlet plate will not be able to grip the cables
I understand there is a regulation stating Green/Yellow must only be used for Protective Conductors.

In all very poor practice.

Kind Regards

Arguably that young lad was advising something illegal.

Poor practice doesn't begin to cover it.

But it will continue until society develops the cojones to make changes which would see him, his manager(s), and directors of B&Q in the dock facing serious punishment.

Yeah, let’s punish that young lad on minimum wage for trying to be helpful.

Perhaps the sisters partner who had no idea what he was looking for should get proper advice from an experienced tradesman next time he is getting parts for electrical/gas/car brakes/open heart surgery jobs and not rely on the advice from a shelf stacker.

Be interested to know who wired the cooker in - a qualified electrician by any chance? Couldn’t they have supplied the correct cable?

Yeah, let’s punish that young lad on minimum wage for trying to be helpful.
No, let's punish him for advising something dangerous and illegal. Which was not "helpful".

Helpful is being truthful, and honest, and not advising your customers on matters outwith your competence.

I said 'trying' you pillock. Do you think he'd been told or trained not to give advice? Or been told that it is illegal to do so? Probably not so that makes the management/company resposible, not a junior employee.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back