B&Q silicone sealant - DISASTER???

mo2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi
i was wondering if you guys have ever used transluscent B&Q silicone sealant, I had run out of vallance clear sealant on the third of four windows I was installing glass in so I got some BnQ branded to finish up. I got very little on my hands and yet it refuses toi wash off with soap unlike the vallance one, instead it has spread all over my hands. Also when "the missus" started to wipe it off as she had been doing succesfully for the past three windows it just spread and left a nasty mess

any ideas how to get it off, the window and my poor hands? after all the works that has gone into the windows and the stuff around it I can ot let something so stupid ruin it

PLEASE HELP :( :( :( :(

Sponsored Links
hands clean, but worried about al my hard work the went into the preparing the frames etc.

What is the material sealing the double-glazed units? If it's a bitumen-like black mastic you're not advised to use silicon sealant as it can atttack and soften the mastic causing the units to break down. You need to use a "low modulus" sealant, which goes off a lot more slowly and is a bit of a pain to apply.

With the silicon that's got onto the glass, wait until it's gone off then use a scraper with a new blade. You can buy a silicon remover that's actually orange terpenes but I haven't found this as effective as mechanical means of removal.

Sponsored Links
RigidRaider said:
What is the material sealing the double-glazed units? If it's a bitumen-like black mastic you're not advised to use silicon sealant as it can atttack and soften the mastic causing the units to break down. You need to use a "low modulus" sealant, which goes off a lot more slowly and is a bit of a pain to apply.

With the silicon that's got onto the glass, wait until it's gone off then use a scraper with a new blade. You can buy a silicon remover that's actually orange terpenes but I haven't found this as effective as mechanical means of removal.

uh oh, it's that black stuff :(, it's peeling quite nicely off the frame, but still appears to be wet on the glass, what is low modulus sealant?, is there a chance I have used it and is there anything I can do about the potential problem, since that glass costed

EDIT - mods please can you move this to the windows + doors section

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hurrah for Rupert!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back