What type of silicone to use for UPVc windows

25 Dec 2013
Reaction score
United Kingdom
I have some UPVc windows where the silicone seal around the edges has got mould. Trying to wipe it off doesn't make any difference so I want to know what type of silicone seal do i need to replace it.

Is this the same stuff as your standard bathroom silicone seal or is it some special stuff for UPVc windows?

Is the Dow 796 the right stuff and is it any good?

If anyone can suggest some brands and links where to get it from would be helpful.

Also whats best way to remove the old silicone?


  • 20200111_091559.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 335
Sponsored Links
Wow thats some mould you have, you must suffer from condensation. Typically any low modulus neutral cure silicone is used for frame sealing, however in a bathroom or kitchen when steam will be present you'd really want one with anti fungal additives commonly known as sanitary silicone. That being said if you keep on keeping on creating the condensation I suspect even the correct silicone will look grubby after a few months

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links