B & Q Upvc Windows and Composite Doors?

B

blaire81

Are B & Q doors and windows decent quality?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
Haven't fitted one from that particular store but have from some others. Generally cheap tat and it shows.
Does the job but probably wont last that long.

People in the trade will be getting custom made stuff much better quality at similar prices. Of course we do have to mark that up a bit

I don't think B&Q buy from Dave with little garage knocking out windows on the cheap. More like from a proper large national manufacture making proper stuff to various ISO standards.

I don't think B&Q buy from Dave with little garage knocking out windows on the cheap. More like from a proper large national manufacture making proper stuff to various ISO standards.

Hi Woody, I have no dought it all complies to regulations etc.

Just in my experience their stores off the shelf stuff are very cheap components.
Cheap screws that rust rather than stainless steel.
Cheapest locks, Hinges, Gearboxs, Handles etc. Generally bits that wont last as long most trade windows.

Much like shops own brand tools. They do the job but a few extra £ for better quality will probably last alot longer

Sponsored Links
Hi Woody, I have no dought it all complies to regulations etc.

Just in my experience their stores off the shelf stuff are very cheap components.
Cheap screws that rust rather than stainless steel.
Cheapest locks, Hinges, Gearboxs, Handles etc. Generally bits that wont last as long most trade windows.

Much like shops own brand tools. They do the job but a few extra £ for better quality will probably last alot longer
Most of their joinery is Jeld-Wen and that's quality, I'm not sure if they make plastic stuff too or supply it, but B&Q must surely be selling equal quality plastic stuff too. The OP could go and see who makes it.

I can't imagine the like of B&Q selling tat windows.

No they won't be selling tat but they will be selling adequate, I believe the profile to be synseal, synseal have 3 styles running at the moment but I don't know which one B&Q are selling however none of the 3 are bad profiles, as we always say 'its all in the fitting' so even if it were a bad window a good fitter would make it look champion, however and this is the angle that Gazman is coming from is what about everything else on the window? We know the profile to be a good one but what about the hardware i.e. handles, hinges, lock mechs, screws, I'd like to know what make all thoses bits are, after all even a good fitter has no control over them. And the next big element 'the glass', who floated the glass, who toughened it, have those been done to british standards, who assembled the units - I know theres a whole raft of regs required just in DGU manufacturing, is it cheap romanian or chinese 'tat', who knows, so for a little bit more money you can have one made to measure with known quality hardware

I was only basing on some stuff I have fitted from the store that rhymes with bicks.
Have had a few customers who went out and bought stuff themselves and then asked me to fit. If they had asked me first I could have got much better quality for the same price (would have had to mark up 20% but only would have added £300 or so).

But they would have saved on the fitting. Especially the flat pack patio doors that I had to assemble and the fact that all the windows and doors were a bit smaller than the apertures so there was a considerable amount more making good.

So all in all it would have been cheaper and better to have just come to me in the first place.

Do you consider Jenweld timber stuff to be good quality Woody?
I have fitted some of there basic range stuff before, Again a customer who went out and bought it themselves. I haven't had any problems with it but personally thought it was pretty ugly looking.

Just asking as I have avoided them since due to that, I know they do nicer looking stuff with better quality timber too but I thought much like most large manufacturing company's that they are about bulk and speed, I suspect that quality is pretty far down their list.

Do you consider Jenweld timber stuff to be good quality Woody?
Good as in "not bad"!

Most of their stuff is mass market, Ford and Vauxhall, and some is perhaps BMW. It all works and performs even if basic, joints are tight, catches and hinges work and will last, so it's a quality in that sense.

I suspect if the OP wanted premium, then he would not be considereing B&Q or any off-the-shelf supplier. But if he wanted adequate and dependable, then he may.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back