[b]Sigh... vokera 20/80 RS flowmatic-i think it's dying.Advi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi again knowledgeable boiler people.

i have a vokera boiler, make etc above, which has given me a few problems in the 2 years i've known it (see previous posts)..
it's been running ok for quite a while now, but last week, i noticed i had no heating downstairs but roasting radiators upstairs. (boiler is upstairs on a wall, if that makes any difference..)
my boiler chap fitted a new pump yesterday afternoon and heating came back on downstairs, but by the evening, NO heating was working in entire house (HW totally fine). he also added some more detergent stuff to the system too.
Does anybody have any ideas as to why it's stopped heating?

i'm also informed it needs a new diaphragm some time soon. I've only ever heard good things about this make/model of boiler, but am now wondering whether it's worth keep spending more money on or whether i should think about a new one?

I've been told a new one and fitting will be around £2500; please tell me this isn't true!!! :eek:

any advice would be hugely appreciated!!!

Sponsored Links
check system pressure first, should be about 1bar cold

Nick, if the boiler was giving you hot water, and at rest the front was cool to touch, the pump did NOT need replacing.

Boiler may be old in the tooth, installers may want to sell you a new boiler but in my books this boiler IF looked after as makers intended, will keep you warm and supply adequate hot water.

See another thread on Flowmatic for different (I think boiler replacement brigade) view

Find an RGI who understands Vokera's, and it will be up and running without breaking bank. Good workhorse that'll go on for years. If you go for a new unit, go for Vokera Unica or Linea, providing gas is correct and condense not a nightmare, the swap is fairly simple. Perhaps your system needs a bit of work to bring upto BC standards.

Sponsored Links
I'm no engineer but i do have the same boiler! mine has been trouble free for 7 years but in the last 18 months has had a new diaphram, venturi blockage removed twice and now seems to need an expansion vessel replaced.

I think mines probably between 12- 15 years old. I've decided to replace it now, mainly because I've had 3 people look at it and none seem sure about what is exactly wrong with it, or they dont want to tackle the old beast ( I think it's more the later)

The fella's on here seem to have way more idea than the people I have had call around!

I know this isn't much help but I share your grief with a dying flowmatic, weird as it seems - but it seems sad to throw away such a sturdy servant.

I have been quoted 960.00 quid for a replacement vokera compact HE, thats to supply, fit and a bit of pipe work replacement. so maybe 2500.00 is a bit sharp. But maybe the fella's on here know better and can tell you if that price is fair.

Good look in your search for a good flowmatic engineer, who wants and knows how to fix your beast and who isn't intrested in selling you a new boiler - It had me beat! I wanted it fixed but it became to much hassle.

I'm ordering a six foot coffin to bury my old flowmatic friend who out-lived my pet dog.

Your bloke who changed the pump doesn't know what he is doing. I would be looking at the diverter valve to solve your problem. Haven't got M.I's for this boiler to hand, but you may just get away with replacing the spindle and spring. £ 2500.00 for a new boiler may be about right depending on the type of boiler and amount of work carried out but in the real world you could probably get it done cheaper.

£2500 for what sounds like a straight boiler change, I would be able to part-ex the ferrai every year

Ah yes heatingman I agree. A mate of mine got a Greenstar 30CDi, twelve rads and all new pipework for £ 2900.00, but we don't know who the installer is in this case or the boiler or amount of work involved. Notice that I did say he would probably get it cheaper.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back