b t 1471 robbery service

Cool, let me know where to find it. Mine was just the first result from a google of "Broadband speed checker".

Sponsored Links
A lot of these so called cheaper phone service providers (just stick our number before the number you want to dial) work on the volume of calls you make and in the small print you are tied to making a set number of calls per month which is their way of recouping "the savings" It may well be handy for the people that use their phones to call a lot but for the occasional phone user it is more expensive.

ninebob said:
breezer said:
Answer:
The same way all us non cable people get it, it comes via satelite to the cable company (yes your local cable company has a satelite dish, that they told you no one needs with cable. )

Not entirely correct, breezer. Especially as you make it sound like they have a little minidish on the side of a shed!

i said that because that IS what they do, i am not saying everywhere but that is how its done, as i said i have seen it

Ninebob, tell me more about these free upgrades?. I have NTL and haven't been informed about these by NTL. Just want a little more info before I give them a call.

Sponsored Links
nstreet said:
. Just want a little more info before I give them a call.

is that lots more info. or just some info?

i am sorry but the expression you used "little more" bemuses me eg in kebab shop, "can i have "a little more" mayonaise"

then when he gets a squirt of mayonaise, he compalins its too much, so what is a little more.

with regard to a little more info yes call this number, sorry can't tell you the number because you only asked for a little more info, the little more is advise to call a number

what is a little?

Streets, don't worry I understand you! I often suspect Breezer was an English teach in a former life: "Can I mark your homework? Well, I suppose I CAN, it is not beyond the limits of my abilities... Is that what you MEANT to say?" :LOL:

It appears to have been automatically upgraded. Remember ntl started at 512, then went to 600 as a marketing ploy (Hey, our service is quicker!) and now they have upped it to 750, or 1.5mbit if you had the 1mbit service.

It is very cunning really, it doesn't actually cost them any extra, they have all the bandwidth (which is very cheap in reality, on a contended system such as domestic ADSL and cable modem). They just increase the level of your speed cap to 750.

However for adsl companies to try the same thing they would have to do a lot of wrangling with BT... perhaps ntl should be taken to the monopolies commission; unbundle the local cables! :D

ninebob said:
Ok, I got:

Direction...........Actual Speed.....................True Speed (estimated)
Downstream......695 Kbps (86.9 KB/sec).....750 Kbps (inc. overheads)
Upstream..........118 Kbps (14.8 KB/sec)......127 Kbps (inc. overheads)

Not too impressed with that tonight actually, when the upgrade first happened I ran the same test and got an actual of 712. Still, I guess it fluctuates according to overall traffic.

OK, over "standard" NTL connection, my colleague at work got a whopping 10.2Mbps, and routinely gets 4Mbps. Now obviously I don't know whether this is actually true or not, only relying on the stats that were shown. I believe that cable suffers quite a lot from contention, so what speed you get depends on how many other users are online. But then it matters not to me, I can't get cable, in fact a lot of poeple round here can't get mains sewerage, so I count my blessings. Finally get broadband TODAY!!

Well, some speed tests don't work properly if you retry them as the computer caches data.

If your friend has plain old cable modem (i.e. this isn't his office internet connection) then this is the likely problem. ISPs "cap" the speed of the connection, otherwise there would be no reason to buy the more expensive, faster ones. :D

Back at uni each department had an OC3 connection, that is 155mbps. Pretty much straight onto the internet backbone (the Janet ring, I think it is called). That was fun, at times you were downloading as fast as the hard-disk could handle. My record was a 100mbyte file in 15 seconds.

Janet, (joint academic network), re his download speeds, i'm not really at liberty to say, let's just say all is not what it seems and I don't mean technically. Don't know for sure, but I know something is a foot, I Don't think he has a cap on his link.

Lucky boy if he has no cap! I have heard that there is software you can use to negate the cap, but I would have to see it to believe it.

My theories would be that he either knows the ntl technician who installed his connection, or that there is someone at ntl who doesn't believe in caps!

Sponsored Links
Back