O,A,P's and money

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just come off my second back boiler repair this week, first was for the MIL so was free, second was chargable.

Lady 79 years young phones this morning no hot water, "ok madam I shall be with you for 12.30. Arrive at the address 12.15, back boiler has gone out, quick fault find and low and behold the valve has failed after 25 years. Well, "no problem madam" I explain, "Iam sure my supplier has the valve in stock". Quick phone call and on my way to collect.

Whilst making the repair I explained to the lady that I would give the boiler a full service at no extra cost, all the time I was working the lady chatted and joked until she told me about WHEN the boiler had broken, last Thursday, :eek:

Now a certain blue vanned firm came on fri and said it could not be repaired :rolleyes: :rolleyes: then said it should be replaced, estimated 3 or 4k.

Anyway boiler repaired serviced and tested I clean up after myself, at this point the lady produced what looked like a few thousand pounds in cash to pay me :eek: :eek: . "Thats £120 pounds madam, £75 for parts and £45 labour". "but my dear" She said "you have saved me a lot of money" thrusting several hundred towards me.
I can only charge for what is done and do not put my markup on elderly persons jobs, thinking money is tight at the best of times.

Eventually I conceded and took £150, not wanting to offend the lady and not wanting to feel guilty of being over paid, have I done the right thing?
Should I go out tonight and pee the 30 quid up the wall, should I put the money to charity?.

I think the bad fall at weekend has damaged one of a pair of grey cells. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Look, the lady obviously appreciated your professionalism and honesty, you saved her a LOT of money and grief. So her first jesture was a little over the top, but for you to be offered and accept a tip of £30 is not wrong. If you worked in a restaurant the tip would likely be 10%, so you got twice this, nothing unusual or immoral.

If all she had was her pension and struggled, then there would be reason to second guess yourself, but it is obvious that she is not that skint and the £30 tip is likely a drop in her ocean.

Would have been worth leaving a few cards there with her too...

I'm not self-employed (or in the plumbing/heating game) myself. One thing I do know is that little old lady's can be bread and butter to the SE trader...

Sponsored Links
Thanks stulz, looking at it as an over the top tip, and shall spend it on and with mates in the bar tonight.

Yes BoxBasher & Diyisfun, received a phone call 20mins ago from the lady's daughter, told me thankyou for attending too her mother so promptly and affectively, said "but I was only doing as for any elderly customer". Turns out the daughter is secetary for the church magazine and wishes to place an article and advert in the June issue F.O.C.

Who said honesty does'nt pay?

If any of my tips are small, the kids get them. If they are large, I give them to a charity a colleague is collecting for.

The blue van guys - I have been told that they no longer fit back boilers (some new regs?? Not sure), so does that mean they no longer service them either?

If she feels mislead, she should query it with HO of the blue firm.

I think you have to be careful with the elderly.

I have an aged relative whose carer does the shopping, pays the windowcleaner etc, but I found out recently that on the last two occasions, she has given the windowcleaner the contents of her purse (£30 or more) as a tip.

I shall have to ask the owner of the firm not to go in for tips, and I will leave them something at Christmas.

Or maybe look for someone else.

I know from dealing with Age Concern in the past, that one of the main worries of OAP's is being ripped off by unscrupulous trades.

If she's been messed around by Gittish Bas (or whoever his 'blue-van' firm are ;) ), then i think the job you did for her comes second to the trust you've earned. I'd guess that to her, this is worth much more than the grand or so she was prepared to fork out.

I wouldn't be surprised if you found yourself dining out rather a lot off the back of this one from referrals!

Top stuff, nice gas bloke!! :D

clf-gas said:
I think the bad fall at weekend has damaged one of a pair of grey cells. :LOL:

If that were true Craig, then I know of a great number of people that should take that same fall. :)

Good on you mate, hope your honesty and integrity is rewarded with plenty of trouble free work and a successful business. :D

;)

clf-gas said:
Should I go out tonight and pee the 30 quid up the wall, should I put the money to charity?

I know!

Wedge it away into your pension fund, it will help cushion the blow when you reach that stage in life yoursef.

Thanks for all the positive replies.

The lady's daughter liftted my feelings this afternoon, with her thanks and VERY generous offer :D

The £30 has gone to my grandaughter and future grandson, (fingers crossed).

Thanks all

Perhaps you can get the ladies daughter to talk to her Mum about banks/building societies.

The next caller may not be a good samaritan.....

I witnessed extreme kindness by an OAP today at work, she bought an item of confectionery for the little girl with her mum, in front of her at the checkout queue. Totally out of the blue. Just shows there's some kind people left in the world.

Sponsored Links
Back