1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

B22/BC to Flex outlet adapter legal?

Discussion in 'Electrics UK' started by eveares, 29 Apr 2017.

1. eveares

eveares

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Just spotted the below listing on ebay and it reminded me of the stories my Grandparents have told me in the past about when they used to plug appliances like vacuum cleaners and electric irons into the ceiling lamp holder via an adapter in the 50's and 60's.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/B22-to-Ca...ance-Connection-via-Lamp-Socket-/350848479627

Is the item in the above listing even legal due to the high probability it could be used in an unsafe manor? Yes you could bake B22/BC extension cables with it, but how about when one stupid person idiotically connects something like a hoover up to it?

Regards: Elliott.

2. Sponsored Links
  3. EFLImpudence

EFLImpudence

Thanks Received:
    Portugal
    He does say maximum 5A - 1200W @ 240V

A Vacuum will likely trip the MCB on start-up although Henrys are only 620W and the others are limited to 900W.

That's what the MCB and all the safety devices are for - to protect people who are doing stupid things.

Knives are legal.

4. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Things like this could be used in an unsafe manner:

[​IMG]

Should they be made illegal?

5. EFLImpudence

EFLImpudence

Thanks Received:
    Portugal
    You can get proper ones

Attached Files:

6. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Just the job if your appliance has 4mm plugs on the end of its flex :mrgreen:

7. Taylortwocities

Taylortwocities

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    You could plug all sorts of things in, with the proper adapters
    And still have the light on!

8. StephenOak

StephenOak

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    @Taylortwocities,
    I remember those adapters from my childhood, we used them (sometimes multiple ones dangling down in a chain from the same light fitting) to power Christmas lights. Even then (primary school age) they looked dodgy to me, they did not fit tightly and any touch on the 'chain' caused the parts to move relative to one another. With two or three strands of Christmas lights around the room we did not have a main light plugged in as well.

However I am pretty sure that I remember an iron being plugged in to this as well as the main light. This would be in a council flat with only one or two (Dorman Smith) sockets per room. So to see what was being ironed you needed to be under the main light.

9. Taylortwocities

Taylortwocities

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Yes. If I remember, my dad used to plug his electric shaver in to an adapter like that in the bathroom (literally shock horror).:eek:

10. Sponsored Links
  11. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
  12. securespark

securespark

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I suspect a fair few people carry these in an unsafe manor, like Peckham for example.;)

13. securespark

securespark

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I had a BC plug attached to a 13A trailing socket so I could use Class II drills when the sockets were off.

14. OwainDIYer

OwainDIYer

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Class I drills would work just as well :)

15. FrodoOne

FrodoOne

Thanks Received:
    Australia
    Interesting. (I do hope that the "manor" in which you may reside is not unsafe !)

Such devices used to be available in this country - Australia.
    Therefore, I thank you that I now know where I can obtain them, if I so desire.

It somewhat reminds me of the situation concerning what are known in New Zealand as Tapon plugs and, in Australia as Piggyback plugs. (https://www.electricaldirectltd.co.nz/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=1421)
    While such individually connectable devices have been banned from individual sale in Australia they are still readily available for sale in New Zealand - and can easily be imported into Australia.

The "story" from Australian "authorities" is that they have been banned here because somebody put one of these at each end of a lead and electrocuted himself. However, I can find no Australian news report of any such event happening over the last 30 years or so. (You are welcome to search and to tell me if I am wrong!)

In spite of this, power leads with such a molded plug/socket on one end are readily available in Australia. (https://www.bunnings.com.au/arlec-5m-piggy-back-extension-lead_p4420180)
    Of course, the female socket on the other end could be replaced by any device which one wished to use.

Whenever I need to have a Piggyback plug on the end of the power cord for any device, I simply buy one of these extension leads of appropriate length and replace the original lead with the Piggyback/Tapon plug-ended lead concerned - after the guarantee period has expired.

I also have several NZ sourced Tapon plug/sockets available for use, should I need them.

16. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I doubt that you are - I'm sure that Australia is one of the countries where politicians have nothing but contempt for the people, and routinely lie to them.

17. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links