back boiler and combi boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have bought a house that I am currently in the process off renovating. There is currently no fire place or boiler in the house. I was thinking of putting a combi-boiler in for the heating for the hot water taps and radiators. I was also thinking of putting a multi-fuel stove in the living room.

My question is if I got a stove with a back boiler that connected up to the return of the radiator system to utilise the heat created by the stove and reduce the load on the boiler, thus reducing my gas consumption.

Is this possible as I have looked and I can’t seem to find an answer? The only reasons I can see why it would not be possible is if the water is not pumped through the radiators with the fire lit the water may boil in the back boiler, or the water temperature is not regulated by the boiler so the water would become too hot for the system, and possibly increases to a dangerously high pressure.

Any advice or explanations would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Ian

Sponsored Links
A solid fuel back boiler shouldn't be used on a sealed system so is unsuitable for connection to the heating circuit of a combi.

No, you can't do that, combi boiler heating systems are pressurised and you can't pressurise a back boiler

Thank you for the fast response to my question. Can you please explain why as I would like to understand more about it?

Is there another way of using the heat from the stove to heat other rooms in the house?

Sponsored Links
No, you can't do that, combi boiler heating systems are pressurised and you can't pressurise a back boiler

1 not all combis have to be sealed system

2 you can pressurise some back boilers as long as you fit the kit

so 3 yes it is possible depending on what you want to fit ;)

wether its feasable or not is another matter :LOL:

So it is possible but not worth doing due to the cost. I guess I will just put radiators on a normal combi-boiler system, and a stove separate with no back boiler. Shame really as I thought it could have been a good way of heating the house plus saving money on gas. Cheers for the advice.

personal opinion and thats all it is i would go for it its not as complicated as it looks as long as you can find somebody who knows what they are doing ;)

and the last time i was in manchester my adress was southall st :LOL: :LOL: ;)

30 yrs ago :LOL:

a header tank so that the system is not sealed to alow for water expansion. i guess the pump may have to go before the header tank.
i am a novice and trying to get my head around it lol.

ok look at it again you have the bbu connected to the vent it aint going anywhere fella ;)

and depending on which way that pump is :LOL:

if it was that easy we would all be out of a job ;)

The water is pumped after the header tank through the combi, all the rads and bbu then back to the header tank. would this work or am i just not getting it, can you explain a little more as i dont understand what you mean?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back