Back boiler builders opening (Gas)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The Baxi 401 back boiler builder's opening does not comply with regulations.

It needs a sealing plate fixed around the (copex? crinkly metal) flue pipe - can't find these online, any help with a piccy or a price.

It needs gaps round the water/gas pipes cemented - do the pipes need sleeving before cementing and if so with what.

Do the pipes inside the opening need taped and if so with what.

I don't want the Gas Safe Registered Engineer, who sadly doesn't do the work himself, to come back and fail anything that's been done by a builder.

It will also help get a proper quote if I understand what's to be done.

Sponsored Links
The pipes exiting the opening can just be sealed with mortar,the only pipe that requires covering with tape is the gas supply and the part you need is called a 5" flue clamping plate obtainable from Plumbers merchants.To do all this work you need to get a qualified RGI as the fire front needs removing and reconnecting.Rough guess is about £100 all in.

No need for a sealing plate rockwool will do it and is perfectly acceptable

Rockwool on its own is ok but doesn't it need supporting to stop it falling? Non supported rockwool NCS isn't it? or has my memory gone? Doing all I suggested would leave no non compliance issues.

Sponsored Links
Yep memory gone Rockwool is not NCS nothing at all is NCS

I stand corrected :) When did that change as It was always recorded as NCS if no anulus plate fitted?

It always been NCS if anulus not sealed but when it is sealed it does not have to be with a plate as some would be impossible to do with a plate.
Rockwool been acceptable for at least 20 years and probably a lot longer

Ok,just that where I worked ,rockwool and no supporting plate had to be recorded as NCS.I even new of some guys being pulled up by missing that.Cheers anyway :confused:

The pipes exiting the opening can just be sealed with mortar,the only pipe that requires covering with tape is the gas supply and the part you need is called a 5" flue clamping plate obtainable from Plumbers merchants.To do all this work you need to get a qualified RGI as the fire front needs removing and reconnecting.Rough guess is about £100 all in.

the copper water pipes will corrode if in contact with cement, so best to cover them all

Kirkgas, yes ok but thats not a requirement of the gas regs which was the original query.

As I understand it, two NCS's make an At Risk.

As ventilation is NCS, everything else has to be absolutely compliant.

OwainDIYer";p="1822238 said:
As I understand it, two NCS's make an At Risk.

As ventilation is NCS, everything else has to be absolutely compliant.[
/quote]
Thats the 1st time you mentioned that the vent is NCS? :confused:

I can get away with the ventilation - it's more than 90% - but the builders opening needs sorted. Then I can have the heating on again. :)

Agree with namsag but it has to be proper fire retardant rockwool not the cheap stuff from B and Q, or it is ncs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back