Back Boiler Disconnected

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All. Wondered if someone could enlighten me. My parents house built in the 80's was plumbed for an oil fired cooker and a back boiler in the fireplace (badly I think!) The cooker was changed a few years back to a Rayburn Rangemaster 480K. I think the idea was that the cooker would work in tandem with the back boiler in the fireplace however it never did. I have been reading up on the topic and one thing that sounds familiar is the cooker was heating the back boiler when the fire was not lit. Thing is my parents want to now replace the back boiler with a multifuel boiler stove which they have purchased. Again, I have been reading up on this and I think combining the boiler stove and the cooker into the central heating system effectively will be a far more complicated project than their plumber realises. From what I see the Heating Innovations H2 unit would the way to do it properly? Anyway I digress. When the plumber diconnected the old back boiler this week and (temporarily) blanked off the flow and return it has had a hugely positive impact on the performance of the Rayburn !!! My parents house for the first time in years (maybe ever) is toasty and warm with oodles of hot (domestic) water. I suspsect that the back boiler was simply tapped into the same flow and return as the cooker. This would explain two things to me. The cooker has been heating the back boiler when the fire was not lit and the abismal performance of the 'system' at heating the house.
However how was it that when the fire was lit and the cooker in action together the system has also been performing so poorly ??? It's the one bit that does not stack up for me. The Rangemaster and open fire working 'in tandem' yet very poor heat output.

Sponsored Links
My guess would be something to do with short-circuiting the heating loop and taking the path of least resistance rather than directing the hot water where it should have been. Would depend on the layout of the pipework and interconnection of the two heat sources but the fact it is now much better suggests something akin to this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back