Back boilers vs conventional boilers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, I have a back boiler which is housed below our bedroom (in the fire place obviously), which is quite noisy when it is doing it's stuff. Now I was wondering how much it would be to have it swapped for a normal (quieter) boiler in the kitchen? Are normal boilers more expensive than Back boilers. And would this mean I would have to change the fire as well?

Also: What is the difference between a back boiler and normal boiler? Do people only have back boilers if they don't have enough room elsewhere, ie: kitchen cupboard???

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I'm like you and have a back boiler which is noisey and would love to change it, so a guesstimate on changing it for a condensing boiler would be appreciated.

My only thought on expense would be if the flooring (carpets etc) to get to the pipes etc will need to come up.

We update a lot of systems for the council at the firm I work for. Generally it involves:

New boiler (combi normally) in the kitchen or a cupboard.

Heating flow & return linked in the chimney breast somewhere, or stripped out to upstairs and capped there. New flow & return taken vertically from kitchen to upstairs hall or bedroom and linked in there.

Hot water draw off taken to kitchen tap. Cold feed taken from mains in kitchen

Tanks stripped out from loft.

Powerflush, bringing up to part L etc

The biggest issue is usually the gas supply, as your back boiler was probably 15mm gas pipe, and the new one if its a combi, will need the majority of the gas run to be in 22mm at least. Sometimes it has to be completely re-run from the meter, as the supply in the kitchen is probably only 15mm too.

All in all, when I convert one like this for a paying customer its approx £2.5k worth of work, thats at South East prices, and going for a decent sedbuk A rated boiler (ie not one available at B&Q, not a Main combi, not Ferroli, and no way an Ideal).

Why not consider system cleanse and treated with inhibitor, upgrade cylinder and controls. You then have a quiet boiler, better HW heat up times, a simple boiler that will rarely break down.

Go for a condensor and you have super effiecient boiler that is super expensive to repair (if you can find someone who is clued up n electrical, elctronic, mechanical, gas and plumbing and has a magic wand as well). Add combi facility and you have more parts to fail.

It will be a while before the condensing boilers can be seen to be cost effective (my thoughts only). Materials used and breakdowns that I am seeing prompts me to tell my clients to stay put with what they have unless there is no way out.

In Scotland we can still fit your bog standard boiler.

DP, are there plans in Scotland to make condensing boilers compulsory on new installations and system upgrades like we have in England? Until recently I lived in Glasgow and I was thinking what a tough job it would be to install the condensate pipe in the tenements, as many are in bedrooms 4 stories up!

There is talk of making leaky boilers the boilers to fit. But I think jury is still out on that

Well I'm glad I won't be fitting any condensate pipes while balanced on one of those skinny scaffold structures they use in Scotland on the tall tenement buildings!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back