Back filling drains/soakaway and re-laying lawn...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

We recently had to expose some underground pipes and the top section of a rain water soakaway in our garden.

After reconnecting the pipes, we surround them in 10mm pea shingle and back filled with soil. We also backfilled the soakaway. In both areas the soil is now at the same level as the surrounding grass.

The soil is quite loose at the moment and we are not sure whether to let it naturally sink or whether to compress it ourselves. We don't want to put unnecessary pressure on what is beneath it, especially as the pipes are not very deep at all.

More generally, I also wondered if anyone has any advice on the best way to re-lay the turf (when we did the exposing, we cut out and kept the original turf, which we still have); especially with regard to whether the soil should be loose or compressed (any other tips also welcome though).

Cheers

Max

Sponsored Links
Anyone got any tips?

(Also, apologies if this should have been i another forum.... I wasn't sure which was most appropriate).

Hi again

Just wondered if anyone has any words of wisdom before i try and do this and (potentially) cock it all up!

Cheers

Max

Hi....

I've just got back from hols so have not got around to dong this yet. I've been advised to compress the soil, then lightly rake it and add some fertilizer. Does that sound like good advice? And if so, can anyone suggest what fertilizer I should use?

Also, do you think I should lay the old turf so that it is flush with the existing lawn? Or should I lay it so that it is proud (to allow for it to sink)? I guess I'm unsure how much further it will sink if I compress it first....

Cheers

Max

Sponsored Links
Compact the soil with your foot.

Lay the turf slightly proud then pat it into shape with the rear end of a shovel.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back