back gutter details on profiled tile roof?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need some help my current back gutter is leaking and it just ends under a tile (Marley Ludlow's) which looks totally wrong (imagine your looking up from the ground and the left and right ends are the bits that end under a tile). I think the end should be layed over the tiles so any water cannot be blown off the end into the attic. But I cannot work out how this can be done because the tiles don't lay flat because it comes up between the joints.

I have removed the old lead and tried to boss some new stuff as a tester around the corner and I find im creasing it a lot and I've teared it too, what are the tricks for bossing it around the corner?

Ive watched a video on youtube but it only shows the detail for slated roofs and at the end he says he will show how to do it with tiled roofs in another video, I cannot find another video.

Sponsored Links
Try and post a photo or two -I can't quite imagine what you describe

I have removed the old lead and tried to boss some new stuff as a tester around the corner and I find im creasing it a lot and I've teared it too, what are the tricks for bossing it around the corner?
No tricks just years of experience. Dressing lead is relatively easy, but bossing is highly skilled. I can boss lead a bit but when the work gets to much for me I just weld in extra lead as I find it quicker and very much easier!

Dressing it in situ you ll more than likely always split the lead. You need measurements, a bevel ( for the rake of the roof) . Then dress it on a bench. Get a can of spinach aswell as you need arms like popeye.

The art of lead dressing/bossing is transferring the lead and try to keep the same thickness without tearing.

Usually a lot quicker to do as said, take all measurements, angles etc then lead burn it on a bench.

Sponsored Links
In that case if I get somebody in to lead weld it for me, how do I go about fitting it around the interlocking tiles?

Need pictures of the detail your describing. Lead under is usually always better than lead over.

You strip the tiles of above the existing lead back gutter, remove existing lead.
Your new back gutter will sit on the lay boards, with an upstand going up the slope of roof, sit the gutter in dress the lead around the side cheeks of stack and onto the tiles.
Dress the lead behind the stack, and up roof slope ( onto boards ) replace tiles to overlap back apron.

The guy making it up will probably fit it for you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back