New Roof detailing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey folks. Newbie here.

I've just had my roof completed. It's a Marley tile and I'm largely happy with it. There's a couple of things that don't sit right and I'd appreciate advice before I finalise payment.

The main thing is the finish between my property and my neighbours property. They have slates still and I don't thing it's matched up with the Marley tile. As you can see in the pic I've attached, there is a gap which has been filled with lead flashing but it has left a bit of a gap and slightly exposed to elements. Is that fairly normal? I've never had a new roof so I don't really know.

There's also both gutters are badly pitched and the water is collecting at the wrong end but the main issue I have is described above.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20200425_151857.jpg
    20200425_151857.jpg
    318.5 KB · Views: 153
  • 20200425_202340.jpg
    20200425_202340.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 146
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
What's a kicker please?
It's what supports the bottom of the first (eaves) course of tiles and is usually done by the fascia board. The chap who builds the roof decides the depth of the fascia board depending on how he collects the soffit (bottom) and the amount of kick the first course of tiles requires (top).

Your man should have added a batten or fitted a taller fascia as your first course of tiles is pitched wrong.

What's a kicker please?
Doh, beaten by the fastest typer in staffs.

If you look at that first tile at the eaves it is at a steeper angle to the ones above it. And there may be (looks like) there is a gap where the second row of tiles should be resting on the first row. That's why the first tile row needs lifting at the front the make the angle the same as the other tiles and ensure that no gap is formed as the next row sits flat and true on the first.

Thanks for all the advice so far.

Would it make better sense if there was some sort of end flashing on this bit too? My roofer has suggested he fills it in with cement but that sounds a bit cheap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back