Back pain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was putting up some contiboard shelves in an alcove on Friday. Just as I was finishing up I pulled a muscle in my lower back. Was in pain for the rest of the day but on Saturday the pain was 95% gone and totally gone this morning.
Just been out to get some plasterboard this morning and the woman on the till wanted me to turn one of the boards over so she could read the code number on the side. Leaned over and turned it around and twang went my back. Now I can't walk upright at all and any movement is absolute agony. I'm pretty sure that it's muscular, but I was wondering if anyone had any idea of how long this type of injury will last. Also if anyone has any tips for pain relief they'd be grately appreciated at the moment.
Just found (and taken) some tablets (Dihydrocodeine) the wife was given when she has a caesarean a couple of years ago. See if they help.
Gotta go take a leak shortly but I'm not looking forward to the stairs. :cry:

Sponsored Links
I've done this once or twice, it sounds like a muscle pull. If you slipped a disc you would be in agony and unable to move at all

It takes me a at Least a week to get over this. DON'T aggravate it by trying to do stuff. Hot baths, painkillers and rest always work for me. Try some gentle stretching exercises to stop it freezing up

If it doesn't get better pdq go see the quack

I use regular massage from a properly qualified masseur - keeps a lot of things at bay when you do lots of physical work, I have found.

Sorry to hear about the bad back :(

I will write out a 'conditioning exercise' which will work. Do it a few times per day. It is also a preventative and therapeutic exercise - so will beneift ANYONE.

To help you understand what has happened to your back - if you think of it as an elastic band - how many times per day is this band being pulled and stretched? Multiply this by weeks and years, and it is not surprising that one day it will 'ping'. Human's no longer move in a 'safe' and 'efficient' way, so they will experience problems - How many animals do you see with sore backs? :LOL: In a nutshell - your plastering, etc would not have been the cause of your 'sore back', they were just the 'final straw'. Anyway, don't want to bore you or go into lengthy details :rolleyes:

Here is there 'program' to follow:

General Rules of Conditioning

1. All movements must be performed slowly and gently

2. Allow time for relaxation between each attempt

3. Never move to pain or discomfort

4. Ensure sequential progress of movement

5. Adjust skin loading before commencing movements and frequently throughout the program

6. Perform the movements little and often: work them into your daily routine

ADJUSTING SKINLOAD

Upper Quarter

- Gently squeeze up your right shoulder, let your elbow bend keeping your arm loosely by your side.
- Raise your hand, and as it passes your shoulder, allow your shoulder to relax and let your arm cross your chest.
- From your ‘centre’ gently rotate your upper body, to allow any pressures on the right upper quarter to be released
- Relax from your ‘centre’
- Repeat if you continue to feel any pressures on your upper right quarter.

- Repeat this program for the left upper quadrant

Lower Quarter

- Gently roll your right thigh inwards, keeping your knee relaxed
- As the slack is taken up from your hip area, gently rotate your body from the centre – allowing reduction of ‘skin-loading’ on the right lower quarter.
- Relax from your ‘centre’
- Repeat of necessary

- Repeat this program with the left lower quarter

These movements should be repeated as necessary when working through the conditioning program.

CONDITIONING PROGRAM

Starting Position: Lying on a bed or floor

Bend up first one hip and knee, and then the other (gently roll them outwards as you bend) - so you are lying on your back and your legs have a bend at the kness, with feet flat on the floor

Think of movement beginning from your 'centre' - this is a difficult concept to grasp - but imagine that all movement is starting from an area inside us, just below the belly button.

Think of the movement starting there and going towards your right hip area, where the thigh meets the trunk

Ease the hip area away from the trunk, allowing the movement to continue along the length of the thigh to the knee area (There should be no increase of pressure on either foot or 'pushing' from any other part of the body)

HOLD…………….then ‘let go’ from the hip area - allow the movement to gently return to the starting position.

Repeat this movement 2 or 3 times on the right side

Follow the program for the left side/hip

What this does is alllows the deep 'stability' muscles to stretch and relax - increasing bloodflow to them, and getting rid of waste products. These are the ones in the area you are feeling pain and discomfort in.

Do not worry if you don't actually get any movement in the hip - it can take many weeks or even months before some people experience an actual movement, but don't worry because even thinking about the movement allows the brain to open the pathways to the areas we are trying to work on.

Hope this is clear. It is quite difficult to write it down - much easier to demonstrate
:confused:

Good luck.

Sponsored Links
gcol said:
Just been out to get some plasterboard this morning and the woman on the till wanted me to turn one of the boards over so she could read the code number on the side.
didnt she have a barcode scanner on a long wire like at b&q? think b&q actually have cordless ones now :cool:

now might be a good time to go through your medicine box and check the use by dates on everything.

crafty1289 said:
gcol said:
Just been out to get some plasterboard this morning and the woman on the till wanted me to turn one of the boards over so she could read the code number on the side.
didnt she have a barcode scanner on a long wire like at b&q? think b&q actually have cordless ones now :cool:
This was B&Q! There was no barcode on either of the 2 different sizes of plasterboard I bought. They just use the code on the side.

toffee said:
now might be a good time to go through your medicine box and check the use by dates on everything.
I never understand why they put a use by date on something like paracetamol - does the paracetamol, deteriorate or what?

apparently, in the case of some drugs, the expiry date is conservative to say the least and is only a date set by the manufacturers to say the drug is still good then and is a requirement but is also a marketing ploy for sales.
I have read that if your life depends on the medication then throw it away as it may have lost upto 50% of potency.
If just for a headache, take it and see.

gcol said:
toffee said:
I never understand why they put a use by date on something like paracetamol - does the paracetamol, deteriorate or what?

Yes, most definitely. I used to work in exactly this field, measuring the rate of deterioration. As you will know, a tablet has other stuff in it apart from the active ingredient. These can degrade/interact to produce compounds that are harmful at particular levels/reduce the effectiveness of the drug. The active ingredient can also degrade due to light/temperature/time and this all needs measuring for a safe and effective product. I could go on and on...

toffee said:
is also a marketing ploy for sales.

Well, the government has set certain levels for certain chemicals, e.g. it must not reach 0.5%. When it does, that (or a little before it) is the expiry date. The government should not approve a medicine on marketing grounds, only scientific. The government should also not allow expiry dates to be set on non-scientific data.

They are conservative to provide some leeway. But medicine should never be taken past the expiry date, you just cannot tell if it will be safe.

Im going to impart that to my mother inlaw this weekend
(as she has stuff ages old)
just as she is tucking into my yorkshire puddings which will be perfect (when you lot give me some tips.... come on come on come (said in Irish accent-who said that?)

When buying stuff from places like B&Q I always try to load it on the cart so that the barcodes are in easy reach of the check-out as some of them just can't be bothered to use the reader properly :evil: hairyjon

hairyjon said:
When buying stuff from places like B&Q I always try to load it on the cart so that the barcodes are in easy reach of the check-out as some of them just can't be bothered to use the reader properly :evil: hairyjon
i nearly grabbed the barcode reader off one woman in b&q once, trying to scan a bag of sand. She was holding it at just the wrong angle, like a couple of degrees and she would have had it. she ended up typing the number in. so frustrating. :evil:

Sponsored Links
Back