Back to wall toilet on an external wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I want to replace my current close coupled toilet with a back to wall one to save some space. I've been to a few fitters and they've all told me they won't fit a back to wall toilet to an external wall (where my current toilet is fitted to) because they don't know what's in the wall and what its supporting, I think it's a concrete wall as there's brick on the other side, I'm not too sure.

Does anyone know if it's absolutely impossible to fit a back to wall toilet to an external wall?

I basically want to open the wall and add the cistern in there as opposed to building the wall/frame out which is what I've seen mostly around but I've also seen some people on youtube breaking into walls and adding the cistern inside.

Any help much appreciated

Sponsored Links
If you are talking about a cavity then it could be done but the wall would need strengthened. Even then you would then be removing the cacity which is there for a reason. If it's single course then it's a no go.

The people on youtube are taking a chance that the wall doesn't sag/drop, most external walls are load bearing and cutting out a section large enough to fit a cistern into could certainly weaken the wall. Don't take everything seen on Youtube as a good idea.

As above, Cavity is there for a reason, and could also be insulated. Cutting out the internal leaf and putting a cistern into the cavity could open up a whole new can of worms, with structural stability of the wall above, heat loss, risk of cistern freezing in cold weather, all for what, to gain a few inches of space in the room?

Here's mine, the opening isn't generally an issue but the insulation needs some consideration. A lot of work and only recommend if you have a tiny bathroom (which I have). And if you do go ahead, make sure you pull the entire inlet valve inside the cistern (just remove the backnut) or you'll never at it if it leaks.

IMG_20220111_104433434.jpg

IMG_20220111_110238179.jpg

Sponsored Links
Here's mine, the opening isn't generally an issue but the insulation needs some consideration. A lot of work and only recommend if you have a tiny bathroom (which I have). And if you do go ahead, make sure you pull the entire inlet valve inside the cistern (just remove the backnut) or you'll never at it if it leaks.

View attachment 272929

View attachment 272930
Nice work. Yeah my bathroom is tiny 92x159cm
Does anyone know where the best place to find someone who could potentially pull it off?
All the shops I've asked said they can't do it. Added an image of my current bathroom if anyone has any more input.

thanks

Attachments

• IMG-1372.jpg
    IMG-1372.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 129
@cdbe , is that lintel'd?

Unfortunately @nasa777 , the fact that you have a window in there, if that's the wall you want it in, seriously compounds the issue.
Yep that's the wall.
I did have another idea, I found an 8cm cistern and a back to wall toilet that projects 46cm. Could have someone build something to hold the 8cm cistern and do it that way?
my current toilet projects 60cm so I'll be saving 6cm which makes a big difference as I'm tall and have to watch my head as I sit down.

What about a corner toiler. May leave a bit more roof around the sink/shower but can't tell if that would fit next to the rad.

What about a corner toiler. May leave a bit more roof around the sink/shower but can't tell if that would fit next to the rad.
Hey, I did think about that but yeah like you mentioned, the radiators there and it'll probably be more claustrophobic.

I did think about the cisternless toilet from sanipro

has anyone had any experience with them?

@cdbe , is that lintel'd?

Nah. Good strong wall and only 1 floating brick.

I've often wondered whether a remote cistern - some kind of modern variation on the old high level flush system would work in these situations.

I've done another one with the cistern in a cupboard next to the bathroom with the flush pipe run through a stud wall which works ok.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back