backerboard Joints

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have currenly just boxed my bath in and use backerboard onto onf the frame prior to tiling. I have got a waterproof flexible adhesive, to tile with. Can I fill the joints in of the backerboard or do you have to use thinset ?

thanks

Sponsored Links
You can use the adhesive if you want, i hope you have some access panels in case you need to get to the trap or the taps in future......

yes going to make acces panel but thinking of the best way to do it if i am tiling. Any ideas ?

Also is it advisable to seal the backerboard or the ply under the backerboard with a sbr ?

You could use something like the magnets shown on here http://www.tradetiler.com/cgi-bin/s...llaneous_Mixed_Items.html#amagnetic#amagnetic

Or you could use a bespoke panel, or make your own, Google it you will find plenty of options.

And did you say you have backerboard over ply? Yes i would SBR the ply, if it delaminates because of moisture you will be in trouble, but i am confused as to why you have used both. Backerboards on their own should have been sufficient, and any type of wood used in the vertical plane can be an issue, it is just not stable enough.

Sponsored Links
I assume this goes on from your previous thread; //www.diynot.com/forums/tiling/what-size-backerboard.300684/#2203467

Is the info in there is still correct? Why have you used ply (what type) as a base for the backer board? Your previous threads indicate you were constructing a timber support frame, are the board edges supported by the timber frame? Ply is a poor choice for a bath panel or wall tile base; it’s not dimensionally stable if it gets damp/wet & warping will crack your tiles.

You should seal the ply thoroughly using an acrylic tile primer. Use reinforcing tape on the board joints, working tile adhesive well into the mesh. You can make access panels from Aquapanel & use a plasterboard stop bead to reinforce the edges. The panels can be tiled (or plastered) but actual size will obviously need to coincide with the tile grout lines &, again, the edges should be supported over timber framework.

It was a long day yesterday I do not know why I said I used ply ha ha. I have just used backerboard. If i make a access panel out of backerboard and tile how do you get access without damaging it ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back