What size backerboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking at buying my backerboard to box my bath in just wondering what is the ideal thickness to suit the job. Is 10mm ok ?

Sponsored Links
Depends in the frame your making behind it, if thats solid you'll get away with 6mm (i did 3 yrs ago and its fine) but 10mm is always going to be more solid - but heavier if you want to move it

Sponsored Links
Looking at starting this job this week. Do I just need waterproof adhesive or do I need flexible waterproof adhesive ? How do I fix backerboard to timber frame is dry lining screws ok then fill in with waterproof tile adhesive ?

you can usually use dry wall screws...depends on thickness of b/board..
so 40mm 50mm etc..

this "waterproof" adhesive ....is it epoxy adhesive your planning on using?..thats the only WaterProof adhesive on the market.

You should definitely have gone for 12.5mm boards. Fix the boards to a stout timber frame, seal the timber & any joints. You can use drywall screws to fix the boards (every 100mm) but try to ensure board joints don’t coincide with tile grout lines. Tub mix will be OK for that size tile but use a quality waterproof flexy adhesive & grout - BAL, Webber. Mapei (but not the one in BNQ) etc; cheap own brand & DIY stuff is mostly crap.

As tictic said with the exception of expensive epoxy products, waterproof adhesive/grout is only waterproof to the extent it won’t disintegrate when wet; it will still absorb moisture which is why a waterproof tile base is important. Even so, tiled bath panels are not ideal; they weigh a bloody ton & unless you have a removable access panel, future maintenance will be difficult & you risk damaging the bath panel when it's removed. If the timber mounting frame gets wet it will also give problems so make sure water can’t get behind it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back