Bad driving

And don't forget stupid councils who install cycle lanes, bus lanes and road narrowings right on the exits from major roundabouts, and wonder why traffic is snarled up for miles around, and noise pollution (car horns) has increased by 100,000% Nest step from these idiot councils is to publish adverse air pollution figures, and install congestion charging. Problem is they only employ/listen to those who dance to their tune, no matter how ridiculous it is.

Sponsored Links
Don't get me started! I believe that councils receive EU handouts for every yard of cycle lane and bus lane. That probably explains why I often encounter one that extends for a few yards then stops, and achieves nothing.

I'm wrong, of course. One thing they do achieve is to disrupt the free flow of traffic and create the potential for more accidents.

Liverpool recently saw the light and decided to remove bus lanes on the grounds that it would improve traffic flow.

I like bus lanes that are only in force for part of the day e.g. 0800 - 0930 and 1630 - 1800.

I am sure that most drivers' eyesight is only good enough to see the foot-wide white line but not to read the time signs leaving the bus lane free for me during the rest of the day.

Also I remember consternation, where I used to live, from the authorities when an electrical fault put out the traffic lights at a busy junction and would take days to rectify.

Result during the work - less congestion than with the lights working.
Of course, they still switched them on again when mended.

Also I remember consternation, where I used to live, from the authorities when an electrical fault put out the traffic lights at a busy junction and would take days to rectify.

Result during the work - less congestion than with the lights working.
Of course, they still switched them on again when mended.

Pretty much identical thing happened near me. The local council have a thing for roundabouts, mini-roundabouts, and roundabouts with traffic lines and multiple lanes you have to try and jump across between the light changes which go with strobe-light frequency. I swear none of them own a car that isnt made by Matchbox.

One of the multi-lane, traffic light assisted roundabouts suffered a fault and all the lights were out of action. The traffic flowed much better so the council with a rare display of common sense left them turned off.

Sponsored Links
Here in Suffolk they breed mini roundabouts like siamese twins.
You don't get one standard roundabout at a junction you get two mini ones!

As you enter the first one you then have to stop and give way to drivers entering the second one, after you have gained entry to the second one you have to stop and give way to traffic merging from the LEFT!!!

One of these junctions simply needs one set of staggered traffic lights to enable right turns and the problem would be solved. Alternatively just put one medium sized roundabout there.

It's my belief that the bad drivers on the road, namely lane hoggers and those that are not spatially aware, are the same people that clog up the supermarket with their trolleys.

Then there are those drivers that purposely drop back then accelerate up to your bumper, then drop back, then accelerate etc etc. This is because they are trying to impress you with the roar of their engine. Always makes me laugh because they are so ridiculous.

One thing that never ceases to amaze me is the inconsiderate siting of bus stops. You know the ones, 10yds after a set of traffic lights, where by the bus stops at it, and the traffic following it can't go anywhere till the bus pulls away. One near us, usually results in a junction becoming almost gridlocked, specially on school days when there's a million and one kids wanting to get on the bus.
Apparently the siting of bus stops is down to the local council. I'm sure whoever plans bus stops, doesn't drive a bloody car. ;) ;)

I'm sure whoever plans bus stops, doesn't drive a bloody car. ;) ;)
I bet they have a child though.

In the US a school bus has a rear lights system that prevents overtaking once that bus stops for a drop off. A bit like a red light.

Saves kid's lives.

They say that the worst drivers in Europe are from Italy. Well, you should check out Thailand, Malaysia (bad, but not overwhelmingly so in comparison...) and the Philippines. Shocking, to say the least!

And to top them all, I'd have to give the gold medal to Bangkok. It's like, when there's a bit of non-gridlock in that city, people want to race each other, even though they end up going in different directions. I doubt there's any statistics about the number of road deaths in and around Bangkok, but I suspect within a year it's similar to the US and the UK put together for the same time period, if not more.

UK roads are statistically amongst the safest in the world. The fatality rate per 100,000 inhabitants being over 3 times lower than the USA.

UK roads are statistically amongst the safest in the world. The fatality rate per 100,000 inhabitants being over 3 times lower than the USA.
Er, that suggest to me that American drivers are bad, not that UK drivers are safe! :confused:

Er, that suggest to me that American drivers are bad, not that UK drivers are safe! :confused:

Dunno, but the uk has about 2000 road deaths per year in contrast to over 33000 in the US. Probably coz were all stuff in traffic??

That said although the US figures are pretty poor they pale into insignifance to some countries.

Don't get me started! I believe that councils receive EU handouts for every yard of cycle lane and bus lane. That probably explains why I often encounter one that extends for a few yards then stops, and achieves nothing.

I'm wrong, of course. One thing they do achieve is to disrupt the free flow of traffic and create the potential for more accidents.

Liverpool recently saw the light and decided to remove bus lanes on the grounds that it would improve traffic flow.

It has improved traffic flow in Walton. The main road through this area no w runs much more smoothly than when it did with the bus lane in force.

It has improved traffic flow in Walton. The main road through this area no w runs much more smoothly than when it did with the bus lane in force.

I'm glad to hear it and I applaud Liverpool's bold move. I just hope that other councils see the improvements and follow suit.

I’m sure it was on this site a saw someone’s signature go something like “If you make something foolproof, nature will just make a better fool”. People need to be responsible but if ‘they’ had their way we’d all have blunt knives with no pointy bit.

The problem is we get told lies all the time. My pet hate is speed camera proliferation and they would have you believe they are the reason for KSI going down. (Conveniently and completely missing out the advances in car design and road layout and an absolute plethora of other factors). :rolleyes:

They have now dumbed-down limits purely and simply just to be seen to be doing something. So a recent change near my home, as an example, has gone from NSL, (60mph), down to 40. Why? There’s been no accidents there, least of all any fatality. Actually, it’s worse than that. The road speed limit now bobs up and down the entire length from 40 up to 50 then back to 40 and so on... So now everyone’s looking at their speedo instead of concentrating on the damn road! :evil:

If I’m honest, I do see drivers now going too fast in many places. But they don’t put scameras there! No, instead they put them where it’s safe or safer to go fast; where there’s rich pickings to be had and getting drivers who have never had an accident in 30 years! :evil:

I wish they’d put one on a side road by me where there are parked cars on a narrow road with poor visibility and no grass reservation separating peds from the road. We see idiots bombing down there at speeds anywhere between 40mph and in excess of 60mph. :eek: :eek:

But noooo..... Let’s put it on the road we just changed down to 40 that’s about a six cars width and grass embankments either side. Let’s make a campaign and call it something snappy like “Speed Kills” and reel out bull $hite statistics.

Sponsored Links
Back