Bad driving

I very nearly did the same thing, then I realised I already had a high-res camera with GPS, inbuilt maps and 3G data connection so I got this free app for my phone : https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.hovans.autoguard&hl=en_GB along with a 32gb SD card

Only problem the phone has to use a screen mount and they keep breaking under the strain.

doesnt film the cars comming up your rear though does it,and then trying to blame you for braking needlessly.

and how does it work when your using the sat nav on the phone?

I'm more worried about idiots in front of me and crash-4-cash scammers. It records speed via GPS and detects impact, so if someone does hit me in the rear the app would prove my speed and the video capture of the road in front would prove if I suddenly hit the brakes or not.

I think if you get the paid version it will carry on recording in the background when you're using the satnav. Personally I don't often use my phone for satnav so it hasn't been a problem.

Sponsored Links
I avoid driving like the plague these days, can't wait for the day I never have to do it again.

Please don't say that.

I have had to stop driving due to medical reasons and it is an absolute nightmare.

I avoid driving like the plague these days, can't wait for the day I never have to do it again.

Please don't say that.

I have had to stop driving due to medical reasons and it is an absolute nightmare.

You're right. It is a great convenience sometimes. Although I drive much less now than I used to do, I still happily (well not exactly happily I suppose) cough up for servicing, MoT, road tax and insurance.

I've never had a speeding ticket (yet), driving for 28+ years or so.

Does this make me a lucky driver, a good/bad driver or a slow coach?

Hardly ever stick to 70mph on the motorway either, does anyone? However, I do observe localised speed restrictions i.e. weather, heavy traffic, roadworks etc.

Rarely speed in built up urban areas though. I can actually blank off my speedo on the van and know I'm doing around 30mph just by the tone of the engine.

Sponsored Links
And they all seem to be incapable of checking the lights on their vehicles.

Could it be the 'good' drivers are on their local patch, they know the correct lane before roadmarkings become visible hence they push on without thinking the vehicle in front may have to change lane because he/she are not local... There is more to driving than go-karting around your patch only to arrive and spend 20 mins texting and mis-communicating on the mobile blower.

-0-

Regarding an increase in the number of vehicles during "blustery and water inclusive weather", and how they are often badly driven, I believe these vehicles are the ones owned by the people who ride motor cycles and pedal cycles in "better weather". Those people, especially the pedal cyclists, think the rules of the road do not apply to them, and believe when in a car they can drive with the same contempt for everyone else.
That’s funny because I’ve always maintained the exact opposite! Well, I’ve started so I may as well join in with the sweeping generalisations... :rolleyes:

Bikers are more attuned to the road conditions and have to be more spatially aware; their own life depends on it. Yes there are exceptions, as always, but as a rule I think it holds true. Sometimes I even ride on one wheel...
sport-smiley-12.gif

The very worst drivers I have encountered are generally those who pass their test in a car at a young age and that’s it then - set for life – all they know or want to know! They think they’re safely cocooned in a tank and often act with a total disregard for road conditions, (until they spin off). It would do these bed-wetter’s a power of good to get back on two wheels once in a while and understand the physical laws between rubber and Tarmac, or ice, or rain, or cold verses hot tyres etc. etc.

I have, and still do, ride a bicycle, motorbike, five different 'regular' cars plus a Kangoo and Transit Van. It’s what I feel makes me a good rounded user of private transport. I can’t see how anyone can be a good rounded driver without first hand knowledge of the different means of transport. For example: Until I drove a big Merc Van fully laden I never understood why you try to maintain every last mph. If you scrub a fraction of speed off, or someone forces you to slow down, it’s a pain in the arris and struggle to regain that momentum.

Showing courtesy to other road users should be the norm; the difference between a gentleman and an a.sshole.

I've never had a speeding ticket (yet), driving for 28+ years or so.

Does this make me a lucky driver, a good/bad driver or a slow coach?

Hardly ever stick to 70mph on the motorway either, does anyone? However, I do observe localised speed restrictions i.e. weather, heavy traffic, roadworks etc.

Rarely speed in built up urban areas though. I can actually blank off my speedo on the van and know I'm doing around 30mph just by the tone of the engine.

Well as it is unverifiable.. C'mon fess up to the highest speed you've ever driven on a UK road... Mine is probably a bit shameful!!

Please don't say that.

I do entirely understand what you mean, but the days of taking the motor out for a spin seem long gone, driving is simply a chore these days. Also like a lot of us who are getting on a (little) bit, I find driving at night very difficult

Could it be the 'good' drivers are on their local patch, they know the correct lane before roadmarkings become visible hence they push on without thinking the vehicle in front may have to change lane because he/she are not local...

There are some stretches of roads where the signage and lane markings are p**s poor though. Some years ago I was travelling South on the A1M, just north of Leeds, where I'm on an unfamiliar road , looking for the M1 South. There was one bit where the road took a fairly sharp bend to the left, and all of a sudden I'm actually wanting the outside lane. The road signage before this part didn't say anything about M1S, use outside/right hand lane. Even drivers in front of me were either braking heavily or swerving into the lane they wanted. Haven't been that way since , so I don't know if they've changed the road/lane layout or the signs. ;) ;)

There are some stretches of roads where the signage and lane markings are p**s poor though.

You've hit the nail on the head there, Jock.

Road signs in this country are appalling. For one thing, there are far too many and, to be honest, I find myself not really looking at them at all, certainly when I know where I am going. I really concentrate on looking out for speed cameras.

Another bugbear is that direction signs in this country are often confusing. We once drove from Calais to Provence and never got lost once. In France it's just a matter of knowing what the next town on your route is and, sure enough, there are the signs with the name clearly shown. I pity foreigners who try to drive in this country.

Sponsored Links
Back