bad initial install

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just asking for a bit of advice really.
I :confused: have a gravity fed system in my house with a couple of odities they are that the boiler is in the bathroom and the hot water tank is in the bedroom and as the tank is only just higher than the boiler i only get the top quater of the tank hot when i have just the hot water on .In the winter it is o.k as the rads are on and the water is pumped around the system and i get a full tank of hot water.In the summer i can turn the rads of manually as theres a valve and turn the room stat full up to get a full hot tank ,but is there anyway i can alter things to do this automatically .
My solutions are
1: move boiler downstairs
2: fit thermostats to all rads
3: fit diverter valve (requires new controller i think)

your views of my solutions would be most welcome

Sponsored Links
moving the boiler below the hight of the cylinder will give better hot water curculation
other option is fully pumped
see this

page down to y plan or s plan :)

I'm puzzled as to how the pump pushes hot water through your cylinder coil when all radiators are off! The implication is that the gravity flow is also going through the pump. In this case you are halfway to a Y-plan system already. All you need is the three port valve - and some plumbing and wiring changes.

I'm puzzled as to how the pump pushes hot water through your cylinder coil when all radiators are off! The implication is that the gravity flow is also going through the pump. In this case you are halfway to a Y-plan system already. All you need is the three port valve - and some plumbing and wiring changes.
your puzzled how about me i'm no plumber
seriously i think it just helps with water flow

Sponsored Links
another option is fit a pump on the hot water side or fit something like this with a pump on the hw then you get control of the temp
grundfoss do a twin head pump for this expensive tho

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back