Badly blown, and a bit damp: what next?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey folks - been lurking for a while, and now I'd like to ask some advice :)

Moved into a Victorian mid-terrace a couple of years ago; bottom floor is below ground level, and it had some damp. Had it treated prior to moving in. One area we didn't have done was a small - 3ft by 6ft or so - room/storage cupboard right at the front of the house. The boiler and meters live there, making it complex and costly, plus the damp there wasn't too bad.

I've now decided to tackle it as I'd like the space to be able to store stuff in there. It's plastered, and it's completely blown - I've started to strip it off, and you only have to tap it for it to fall off in some areas.

My plan was to strip all the plaster off - get back to the brickwork - then think about coating the bricks with a waterproof sealant. The room doesn't need to be totally free of damp (not going to store food in there), just good enough for storage of DIY stuff etc.

Problem is, not all the plaster is completely blown - some of it seems solid enough, so I'm loathe to rip that off as it'll take ages. If I don't though, the room's going to look very messy - areas of bare brick and areas of plaster - though it is under the stairs.

So, what do you think is the best way to proceed? Help much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
hiya sifter!

it depends on how much plaster is blown, mite be worth just taking the lot off and starting from scratch

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back