Badly extended roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A builder recently did a new extension a few doors down - He did an example of how not to make a neat extended roof! Even reseating the ridge on the original he didn't bother to cut a full tile down.

The orginal roof had a sprocketted eaves but the new roof pitch went straight from ridge to the end point of the original eaves, so the roof slopes are in different planes.

Sponsored Links
got to say mate that is a real shoddy job i would not be happy at all with that roof and i would certainly expect the join to leak :rolleyes:

Nightmare - was it the brickies that did this? - unfortunately no downpipe to hide the join on the roof!
Very likely to leak.

Sponsored Links
did he do the interlocking tiled roof too, (very bottom of pic about 5 degrees?)

Erm, You may find this hard to believe, but he put plain tiles on first to the single storey! It's the first time I have ever seen a tile with a backfall. Ah! just found the picture I took then, see below

Nightmare - was it the brickies that did this? - unfortunately no downpipe to hide the join on the roof!
Very likely to leak.

The single storey wall in this photo was their second effort the first was such a mess. Believe me when I say this is the very best their "Brickies" could do. The corner is far worse lower down out of the photo, headers sticking out a mile! Fortunately, I think the overall brickwork appearance is So, so. (Or am I going soft :confused: ).

did he do the interlocking tiled roof too, (very bottom of pic about 5 degrees?)

Erm, You may find this hard to believe, but he put plain tiles on first to the single storey! It's the first time I have ever seen a tile with a backfall. Ah! just found the picture I took then, see below

What's the roof pitch angle? :eek:

What's the roof pitch angle? :eek:

I once tried to calculate it using the bricks and came up with 8 degrees, but I think it is even less than that. It is simple enough to say the pitch is no where near enough for any type of roof tile I know. When they put the interlocking tiles on they simply used every other battern and left the unused ones in.

The BC officer on that building was an independant (Not the local authority department). I have no way of knowing if he has signed it off!

The BC officer on that building was an independant (Not the local authority department). I have no way of knowing if he has signed it off!
Should signed it off as condemn :cry:
Best to get a roofer round to have a chat with you for further advice

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back