Badly Fitting/Loose Cover On Ideal Concord - Is It Safe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First thing to point out, I'm not Gassafe.

I was working at a customer's house today, routing a new cable through the ceiling above their Concord WRS heat-only boiler, whilst standing on a ladder. Happened to notice that the casing/cover wasn't fitting closely on the top, on the left side. I pushed it in a bit towards the wall hoping it would fit better, and it nearly fell off.

The cover is held on by two clips at the top with wing-nuts on them. The left hand clip is broken, which is why it wasn't pulled in tight to the main body. Also, the bottom of the casing has a captive bolt thread on each corner, which should have a nut holding each one. The nuts are missing, and the bottom of the cover is unsecured.

So basically, the cover only has one top bracket that is actually holding the cover on. As its a balanced flue, is this safe? The boiler is used daily, for hw at present.

Are new clips to replace the top broken one still available?

Sponsored Links
Not safe at all and should not be used untill rectified.

The case seal and clip kit is still available as a spare part. I fitted new a few weeks back

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your help. Confirms what I thought. Have got someone I use for Gassafe work. He said that if I get the bits, he will do it. Don't think he wanted the aggro sourcing parts, as he reckoned they'd be difficult to get. Has anyone got the full name and contact details for NDC, so I can get them ordered.

Thanks again

NDC is british gas's own warehouse, I dont think they sell to outsiders.

If BG have them available still its a fair bet that merchants should be able to get their hands on them too. We are usually the first say something is obsolete. Puts the frighteners on people ;)

Thanks for all your help.

Customer has agreed to let us sort it for them. God knows how long its been like this. Customer told me he's had it from new when the bungalow was built. Had one service in 30 years! :eek: These old boilers get neglected for years, but keep working. Makes the modern stuff look a bit pathetic really.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back