Badly rusting lead flashing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I was wondering if anyone could help with some advice, I had some extensive renovation work done last year and the lead flashing is starting to corrode and rust really badly. It looks like the tannic acids in the Red Cedar cladding are reacting to the Lead. Has anyone else experienced this and what would be the best way to resolve it. I was thinking of possibly applying a rust remover solution first and then possibly painting the flashing with Bitumen or something similar.

Attachments

• 20211012_123501.jpg
    20211012_123501.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 222
  • 20211012_123407.jpg
    20211012_123407.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 312
Sponsored Links
All the information/notices I've seen about lead reactions to tannic acid containing timbers (green oak is another) points to direct contact been main problem.
They's timbers and lead in direct contact should be seperated by a class A building paper. Water run of from they's timbers on to unprotected lead seems to be regarded as a nuisance (staining) rather than harmful..
I've got several outbuildings roofed with cedar shingles so well aware of this problem!

Sponsored Links
Bp has a short life span when constantly damp.
As it would be trapped between a shingle and a lead or other metal soaker or flashing .
Under a gutter and on top of the sole for example is fine.
Bitumen coating is superior

That looks too localised and too brown to be tannin bleed.

It looks like reaction rust from random steel fixings.

Even supposing it is tannin, that would indicate untreated cedar and a poor installation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back