bahco

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
ok somebody please help! Bahco tools, are they made in sweden (i thought they where) or made in France! seen a lot of fakes doing the rounds but they have made in France on them, all my bahco stuff have made in Sweden on them! So i presume the ones with France on are fakes is this correct.

Sponsored Links
I always thought the majority was made in sweden.... my snap-on dealer told me a few months ago that they now own bahco.

The only predominantly French make i can think of is Facom....

Bahco is a multinational company which is part of the Snap-On group. I don't know in which countries their tools are made.

Nowadays the 'country of manufacture' isn't necessarily where the tool started its life. We live in a day when handbags made in China can be sold as 'manufactured in Italy' because that is where they are finished.

We still associate some countries with good quality tools and some with poor quality, but it's becoming increasingly irrelevant where a tool is made. What matters is if it's any good, and good value.

To some extent, the company's use of its brand name is a measure of its quality: they get the tool made somewhere to quality standards they're prepared to put their name on. However, brands like Stanley (and Dewalt?) have taken liberties and downgraded their reputations.

So caveat emptor.

Sponsored Links
ok guys brought a pair of bahco 8224 grips today (with made in france on them) and can sure what a pile of pants. Will not buy again. This reminds of knipex these tools where very good until draper got hold of them then went down hill this is why went over to bahco! Will have to look around for a good make any ideas?

the old Swedish Bahco were good for medium level tooling,

French tools? I haven't had much to do with them. (not a choice I would make now though)

Didn't Bahco buy/merge with Sandvik, who once produced first rate tools and used Swedish Iron ore - best in the world. That's where the best sheffield foundaries would have gotten their ore from hence sheffield steels rep. My tool shop is one of the last of the old breed shops and know their stuff they tell me certainly stanley and Irwin/marples steel is chinese and or indian when it says made in sheffield as said this often means steel forged in China handle put on in sheffield lol. Even sheffield steel is crap now as a rule. Bahco may still use swedish steel don't really know . My Bahco files are made in Portugal everyone needs to make a profit now so sources cheap materials - if you want quality you need to buy Clifton, Lie Neilsen, Veritas etc or second hand. Brought some Gransfors Bruks axes recently awsome there's swedish steel - can shave your arm with a splitting maul lol.

thanks will look into them, do not mind paying top dollar if worth it hate paying top whack for **** like knipex, now bahco!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back