Balancing CH with Smart TRVs

Open the inlet fully.
Open the out 1/2 turn only.
How do I know which is which? Is the inbound on the success of the circuit closest to the previous radiator? If so I think the circuit would be coming from the right so the inflow is in the right

Sponsored Links
Separately I think I've figured it out. What is often the most obvious is the answer.

I have bled the radiators many times before but all things equal, what would the root cause of a radiator be for not heating? Air in the rad.

So I decided to bleed the radiators again and turned the valve more than usual and had a glass underneath. Previously I turned the valve and water came out immediately ended up so thought they were bled.

I ended up letting out about 1l of water between both radiators. The water started coming out fizzing with bubbles in it which lead me to believe there was air inside. By the time I finished the water was coming out much more quietly and without bubbles. And after a little while they heated up much more than usual. I had to top up pressure in the system to compensate but fingers crossed it will improve things alot.

So the moral of the story and something I hadn't seen in any "how to bleed a radiator guides" is you might need to leave water come out off it's mixed in with air. It's not always air in its own which comes out.

I'll report back in a few days

Sponsored Links
I'll report back in a few days

So far so good. Getting very hot rads now and a much warmer room even though it's very cold out side (based in London).

Was a surprise to me that air in the rads isn't apparent immediately once you open the valve. I had to let out a good 1l or more from the rads to get to the point when the water wasn't fizzing out (with air in it)

Hopefully this post helps someone else.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back