Balancing radiators and controlling room thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently had an extension built and just started to fire up the new heating system. The new Vaillant combi runs 6 rads downstairs and 5 upstairs. All have TRVs fitted except the downstairs hall, the same room where the wall-mounted stat is located.

I have been doing some reading on balancing rads and have an infra-red thermometer to do it. I know I need to use the lockshield valves to get a 12C difference across the rads with the TRVs fully open by adjusting the lockshields, starting close to the boiler and moving to rads further away.

At the moment my main issue is the room stat in the hallway. If I set it somewhere sensible like 22C the hallway heats up rapidly and the room stat then shuts off the heating to the whole house, leaving some bedrooms cold. If I set it higher the hallway pretty quickly becomes unbearable, even though it is open to the stairs and landing (and most of the time kitchen and playroom too). Basically I need to know if it is safe to partially close the lockshield on the hallway rad to get a 12C drop over the rad and slow down the hallway heat-up. Will reducing the flow this way do any harm to the boiler? Ideally I would like the hallway rad to heat up as slowly as possible.

I also would like some clarification on lockshield valves. I read somewhere that after starting fully closed they are fully open after a single turn, even if you can carry on rotating the valve a number of times. Is this true?

Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back