balancing rads

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
what is a fair price to pay to have our rads balanced ,we live in a average 3 bed semi.im fed up of being ripped off just been quoted £700 labour to change a shower to a bath with shower over and swap the basin plumber said would take 2 days.
[/b]

Sponsored Links
About 50p I'd say.

Thats about the cost of a rad key.

The rest is 10 minutes work by you - and even a 90 year old lady can balance radiators.

If you need someone to do it then a 4 pack of beer to a neighbour's lad is about right. (show him the vid).

:D

The quick way to balance a system:

1. Remove all TRV heads and set all wheel valves to fully open.
2. Set all lockshield valves to 1/3 of a turn open from closed (fully clockwise).
3. Start boiler and allow system to warm up
4. Feel all return pipes (cooler one) to see how warm they are.
5. Select on which is midway between the hottest and coldest and use it as a 'standard'.
6. Any rad with a hotter return than the 'standard' should have the LS valve closed a tiny fraction.
7. Any rad with a cooler return should be open a tiny fraction.
8. Repeat 4 to 7 until all returns are approximately the same temperature.

Do no expect perfection. The adjustment each time is very small and you need to leave time (say 10 mins) between each cycle for the system to settle down.

When finished replace all TRV heads and set to required temperature. Set all wheel valves to required position.

Sponsored Links
About 50p I'd say.

The rest is 10 minutes work by you - and even a 90 year old lady can balance radiators.

If you need someone to do it then a 4 pack of beer to a neighbour's lad is about right. (show him the vid).

I think you are confusing balancing a system, to bleeding a few rads :LOL:

If you can balance a system in ten minutes then I've got lots of work for you!

Don't pay any 1 to balance system what you do is run your heating
find out what rads are hot and what rads are warm turn the hot rads down trvs set to like 2 or 3 and turn the weaker rads up if just locksheild then turn off by turning clockwise then once off turn anti clock wise a 1/4 turn on. Make sure rads are bled and trvs arnt stuck all so if your system quality is bad no amount of balancing or bleeding will fix it you need a powerflush

About 50p I'd say.

:D

Do you want any work, happy to pay your going rate

Sponsored Links
Back