Ballpark figure for new combi install (from back boiler)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Trying to sell a house that has a back boiler, everyone always asks and then groans when see it's not a combi in.

Can someone help with a ballpark figure on the cost of converting and fitting a Combi boiler please.

I don't know about heating systems but we have the back boiler/gas fire, a water tank in loft and radiators.

I think the radiators, at least most, would also need replacing as they are ancient and probably wouldn't cope with the increase in pressure if a combi. Also would need the pipe work, gas pipes to.

I know it's difficult to gauge without seeing the job, but any rough figures? And time, and disruption also. I may have to do this (the house is occupied also) to try and sell.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Ask any prospective buyer if they own lots of jumpers and duvets for when the combi breaks down in the middle of winter and they have no immersion backup................

It's always a personal choice but I can't get my head around why people get so fixated on combi boilers.

There are distinct advantages to having a back boiler and cylinder providing they are serviced regularly.

Unless, of course, it's an ugly fire front which puts them off..... :)

Sorry for not answering your question about price but people need to see past this 'house has to have a combi' screen...

Only IMHO of course.

Ask any prospective buyer if they own lots of jumpers and duvets for when the combi breaks down in the middle of winter and they have no immersion backup................

It's always a personal choice but I can't get my head around why people get so fixated on combi boilers.

There are distinct advantages to having a back boiler and cylinder providing they are serviced regularly.

Unless, of course, it's an ugly fire front which puts them off..... :)

Sorry for not answering your question about price but people need to see past this 'house has to have a combi' screen...

Only IMHO of course.
Totally agree with you!! It just the way it is! The systems been fine, get it serviced and cleaned, it could do with a clean out, new pump maybe and few new rads, but as you say buyers just ask straight away unfortunately.

Sponsored Links
Depends on pipe proximities, and a lot more.
Usually turns out somewhere £3-5k for a 3 bed semi if the gas pipe is close, but if you want a new big combi at the back end of a terrace with concrete floors and the meter outside the front, that'll add almost any amount.
Things we can't guess like microbore, more £££...

As a rough guide there are the prices that I use to give telephone quotes:-

Replace back boiler with heat only ( as most are better not replaced with a combi. ) £1800

Upgrade gas supply £12 per m but not always required and even if required then only usually for a few m.

Replace old cylinder with modern foam insulated one £430

Replace radiators with new ones with TRVs £150 each.

BUT there prices are based on easy access for new pipework to allow a heat only boiler to be fitted somewhere on an external wall.

To replace a BBU with a combi I quote a telephone price of £2400.

Tony

Why not offer to pay £1,500 towards a new central heating system for the new owners to get installed.

Then they can choose the location of the boiler and type of system, without you footing the whole bill.

If the boiler is working though, I would be selling as is

some people think that all modern condensing boilers are combis.

They aren't.

Im from the area and do them for about £2500ish sometimes more often less.

Duno why people cant give simple answers to simple questions :rolleyes:

Im from the area and do them for about £2500ish sometimes more often less.

Duno why people cant give simple answers to simple questions :rolleyes:

2500 for new boiler rads pipework and gas pipe... Can you
Come and put me a heating system in please. I will even pay cash at that price.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back