Bamboo plant killing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How can I kill a bamboo plant?
My Nephew has recently purchased a house with one in the garden. The problem is the damn thing has sent out suckers or roots into the next door garden as well and is invading their patio and decking. They are threatening to call in a gardener to deal with it and send him the bill, as they did last year with the previous owner (or so they say!). Last years efforts oviously didn't work very well :rolleyes: . Also, does anybody know the legality side of things with a misbehaving plant as the thing was already in place when he purchased the house?

Sponsored Links
images

or weed killer

Not sure how it applies to roots,but legally you can trim/prune branches from a neighbours garden back as far as the property dividing line,but you have to offer the cuttings back to them :confused:

I swear blind that I didn't used to live in that house ! But I have done this to an unsociable neighbour and his 30' leylandii.
If it's what I think it is then it's Sasa palmata, a notorious creeper, if you want to get rid of it then get a decent spade as you're going to have to dig it out, up to 2' down. One bit of root (like couch grass) will come back.
Whoever planted it should ideally of put a 2' rhizome barrier in the ground round the plant to contain it.
I will add that this is one of only a few bamboos that mis-behave, most are clump forming and sound lovely with the wind blowing through there leaves on a hot balmy summers day ( I think I can remember one of those !!).

Sponsored Links
Cut the bamboo back, paint the stumps with glycophosphate, goodbye bamboo.

Scoby_Beasley said:
if you want to get rid of it then get a decent spade as you're going to have to dig it out, up to 2' down.
Wrong...The Nephew is going to do the digging out, not me!. :LOL:
I sugested he gets a Panda to eat it for him, but they didnt have any in the pet shop. Parrots, Pihranas and Pythons, but not a Panda in sight! Anybody got a 2nd hand Panda for sale?
Thanks for the advice.

sidecar121 said:
Scoby_Beasley said:
if you want to get rid of it then get a decent spade as you're going to have to dig it out, up to 2' down.
Wrong...The Nephew is going to do the digging out, not me!. :LOL:
I sugested he gets a Panda to eat it for him, but they didnt have any in the pet shop. Parrots, Pihranas and Pythons, but not a Panda in sight! Anybody got a 2nd hand Panda for sale?
Thanks for the advice.
Strangely enough, I deal in second hand pandas. You can have any colour you like as long as its black and white ( the plain white ones are polar bears, very nasty !) ;)

sidecar121 said:
Anybody got a 2nd hand Panda for sale?
Thanks for the advice.

i saw one in the paper the other day - it was one of the 4x4 pandas..... i think it was an F reg..... not sure on bamboo but i suspect it's pretty economical on the ol' petrol front..
i'll get me hat :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back