Ban on pork in Islington’s primary schools

So you are suggesting parents should be available at dinner times to supervise their children because the children are too young to differentiate?
Why do you have to always skirt around the real problem?
In a Christian? run school, the kids are given various choices of food at lunch time. They either eat it or go hungry. It is not down to religion, it is down to choice.
In a multi - faith school, the same should apply. On the menu should be all types of food / meat. Should children of certain religions be educated by their parents that they are not permitted to eat certain foods, then they are obligated not to eat it. But, why should children not of these faiths have to endure intolerance and not eat a meat / food of their liking?

• Thanks
Reactions: JBR
Sponsored Links
Gasman, why are you talking as if pork was banned?

Did you not read that "Islington Council has said pork is not banned, and if schools want to serve it they just have to call up the town hall and they will make it happen. "

Even handy admitted it in his very first post when he started this thread.

He chose to start a thread on this forum with an inflammatory title which was untrue, and which he knew to be untrue.

Gasman, why are you talking as if pork was banned?

Did you not read that "Islington Council has said pork is not banned, and if schools want to serve it they just have to call up the town hall and they will make it happen. "

Even handy admitted it in his very first post when he started this thread.

He chose to start a thread on this forum with an inflammatory title which was untrue, and which he knew to be untrue.
Another apologist. Why should a school have to ask permission to serve a certain food? I'll tell you why - they are sh*t scared of upsetting a certain religious group. They should have the balls to tell them, this is on the menu, if you don't like it, go hungry. Pathetic

Sponsored Links
Try to find the energy to read the second link handy posted. Look for the words "catering contract"

Try to find any reference to the "permission" which you have just made up.

http://www.islingtongazette.co.uk/news/islington_council_denies_school_pork_ban_1_3953843

"But now Islington Council has said pork is not banned, and if schools want to serve it they just have to call up the town hall and they will make it happen.

A statement this morning read; 'It’s not true that pork is banned in our primary schools.

'It is not currently provided in our catering contract, but if any primary school wants to serve pork we will work with them to arrange it.'
"

Perhaps I should re-phrase my question. Why is pork "not currently provided in (their) catering contract"?

Again, a simple question.

It's not provided because school staff would have to monitor the children to ensure muslim and jewish children don't eat it. They are citing extra cost.

Everyone knows if a muslim or jewish child was to eat a piece of pork they would turn to a pile of dust instantly. Or they might just eat it and carry on. Or they may like it and ask their mothers for more.

"A council spokesman added: “Young children, some as young as 4-yrs-old, of different religious and ethnic backgrounds may not know which foods contain pork, or may not realise the importance of avoiding it due to their culture or beliefs.

“Monitoring each child, every day ensuring they are avoiding pork, is an unnecessary cost at a time of tight budgets.”"

I remember finding it odd when first discovering how Muslims and Jews refuse to eat pork based on their beliefs etc. Their loss. Bacon and sausage is yummy. And fattening. :eek:

Whilst it seems that these schools are pandering to a particlar faith or faiths, I for one would not be fazed that my sprogs were denied their pork fix at school. They have ample opportunity to eat it at home and be monitored by us as parents as to what fatty stuff they do eat.

It's a bigger shame that children aren't monitored more on what they eat at school going by the latest child obesity figures. Parents seem more interested in appeasing to their fat kids and having a peaceful life rather than addressing the real problems with their fat kids.

The fact that this story has come to light at all is because it has a muslim twang and nowt to do with anything else. A lot of parents could not give a s**t what their children eat and only start moaning because they can.

What about the dietary needs of other religions, are they banning sorry not putting on the menu foods they don’t eat?

Are other meats that are on the menu Kosher/Halal? Or is that not a factor? :confused:

There are some 25,000 primary schools in the UK which do (assumption) serve pork how do they monitor its consumption?

Since pork is avoided by Jews, it follows that this situation isn't a ROP issue.

On the whole, it would make sense for those who wish their children to avoid particular foods to provide packed lunches until their offspring can read, and for school canteens to label the contents of their offerings with words or indeed pictures of the animals used.

Although there is no ban per se, there is obviously a preferred modus operandi which is polemic and unneccesary. If I were a cynic, I'd be inclined to believe that the council is being mischievous and deliberately stirring up some anti feelings against certain faiths :idea:

If I were a cynic, I'd be inclined to believe that the council is being mischievous and deliberately stirring up some anti feelings against certain faiths :idea:

I believe that many authorities and censors are stirring up negative feelings against the faiths/cultures that they seek to protect, although more likely through ignorance than mischief.

When people see other people being treated favourably because of who they are, it is bound to create resentment. These do-gooders are not only preventing free speech, they are creating a ticking time bomb.

Since we established right at the very start of this thread that Islington has NOT banned pork, it would be more accurate to say that the mischievous people running around in circles as if it had been banned, are the ones trying to stir up negative feelings.

Since we established right at the very start of this thread that Islington has NOT banned pork, it would be more accurate to say that the mischievous people running around in circles as if it had been banned, are the ones trying to stir up negative feelings.
Honestly, you and your one track comments :LOL: :LOL:

Why not discuss the issue pertaining to the somewhat unusual modus operandi of the council to withdraw the sale of porcine goods due to financial implications. Assuming that a lunchtime supervisor may get about £10 or so per day, which is insignificant since they'll have to spend possibly more than this on non-porcine foodstuffs, is this really all what it's about?

Sponsored Links
Back