Ban or Breezer You thoughts please!

Well I would beg to differ with you on that as i have seen the quality of some of the work carried out by what you would class as so called qualified sparks and well..... cables resting on top of hot pipes,10mm cooker cables boosted from ring final circuits, maybe for the sake of the forum we will agree to differ on this matter however , one last point i would like to make is i was having a conversation to a very experienced spark the other day about disconnections times ie 0.4s and 5s in the regs he insisted that they were in connection to RCD's and refused to acknowledge that it was in connection with EFLI , as for you personal opinion to my abilities, since you have never worked with me then i dont see how you could possibly judge me, as i wouldn't judge someone else without first knowing them or there work!
and if you look in the beginning i was looking for others interpretation of the regs and not how to do it!
if it came across that way then that was because maybe i should have asked the question in a different manner

Sponsored Links
Well your obviously touchy on this subject.

People here know my opinion of DIY electrical work..but I still help were possible as things are unlikely to change and I would rather help someone do it right than ignore a plea for help..

HOWEVER, people doing work in a professional capacity has no place doing that work if they do not know what they are doing..and you may know the Regs...and I won't disagree that some work is questionable even when done by so called professionals..

But take it this way..If you do a job and make amess of it..next guy comes along..customer says "Well this sparky did it"..BUT YOUR NOT AN ELECTRICIAN and you have no business calling yourself one..

You are the very type of "contractor" Part P was supposed to remove from the equation..instead they simply gave you a ticket and said..Be my Guest...

If you are too stupid to undertand the points I made in my last post..then your too stupid to be doing the Job and having the sheer audacity to charge for it..

You still didn't anser my question about the Farm house did you..

Sorry i missed that point about the farm house yes i have worked on 3 phase supplies before!

what i take exception to is your attitude towards me! seems like your the one getting bent out of shape here not me

i am not the one ranting!!

PartPapproved said:
Sorry i missed that point about the farm house yes i have worked on 3 phase supplies before!

what i take exception to is your attitude towards me! seems like your the one getting bent out of shape here not me

i am not the one ranting!!

It's not a rant, it's a statement of principles and an opinion..not quite the same as a rant..

You've worked on 3 phase systems..in what capacity might I enquire, and where did you get the training for this?

Sponsored Links
And if you think I am alone in this train of thought..

This illogical situation is further complicated by the so called 'competent person'
schemes, where a part trained (or untrained) Part P listed kitchen fitter has the right
to self certify electrical work in domestic premises, thus circumventing the notification
process that an ordinary qualified electrician has to go through. In many instances we
believe this scenario deprives the householder / consumer of getting the best
possible and safest job done by a competent electrician. Furthermore, and
understandably, qualified electricians have taken great offence to this scenario where
their expertise has gone unrecognised. We have fielded thousands of enquires from
members expressing concern at the way Part P is currently operated. Furthermore,
we are aware that the JIB, ECA and yourselves at the ODPM have also fielded
thousands of such enquiries from irritated electricians.

The full article can be found Here

Big spark,

From your comments on Part P you should see it as a small blessing as previousley any cowboy could legally carry out electrical work in residential premisses. The fact that Partp can inspect and test is surely a good thing. What is an apprenticeship worth if your taught by a cowboy, and you know they're out there. If that is the case your apprenticeship boils down to a couple of certificates with different numbers on them 2330 or 2381 and 2391, whats the difference H&S indices and logarithms safe site working and a more industrial bias. Keep on plugin away PartPapproved don't let the holier than thou people, with the perception that there quals are best, on this forum deter you.

Bobmunk666 BEng(Hons) Electrical Engineering

Whatever you think of part p etc. anyone who has done a 2381 and testing and inspection course should now be able to install a circuit and test its safe operation. So ok you can say that they may not have experience of 3 phase supplies in rural farmhouses but to be honest they probably wouldn't take that sort of job on. But they should be able to safely fit a shower or cooker and then test the install, which is what was not happening with the majority of sparks a couple of years ago.

I know its a contentious issue, but there;s no point it having a go at someone who has tried to move forward, there are still loads of "sparks" and general trades out there who are willing to have a go and bodge a system together to make a quick buck.

Kev

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back