Help with connecting new Ceiling Light fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I bought two new ceiling spotlights today (round ones) to replace old ones - (the bar type ceiling spotlight ones) and when i tried to fit them spotted a problem.
My new lights do not have any wires to connect to the Terminal connectors that the wires out of the ceiling connect into.
The new light has the Live and Neutral wires themselves go into a 4 block terminal block on the new light itself. The set up of the wires from my ceiling go into terminal connectors themselves. I know i need to put a some Flex or cable between the two but not sure whether i should buy flex or Cable - Is there a difference? I went to B and Q and came home with 0.75mm squared flex but reading up more I think i should have bought Twin and earth cable.

Im confused as to the size (thickness) of the flex and core and what size i need and whether i need Flex or core. Can anyone help?

btw - i tried removing the terminal block from the ceiling and connecting the wires directly into the new ceiling light terminal block but the wires are not long enough and there are so many. I know where everything goes but just don't know what cable i need to buy.

Any advice would be much appreciated

Sponsored Links
Here is the photo's of the underside of the new ceiling light and a not so good picture of the wiring to the old ceiling light before i took the old light out. I haven't got a picture of the old light as i put it back in back in as it was getting dark and didn't want to do electrics in the dark.

Use the blue, brown and green/yellow wires from the old light, and leave all of the other connectors exactly as they are.

Sponsored Links
Hi

Just to let you know my lights are up and shining brightly as i type. I used the wires from my old fitting. Thanks for the advice once again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back