Banging and clanking....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Removed a radiator yesterday and added a boy of inhibitor while I was at it and everything was fine working fine last night and heating how water were working this morning..

Popped to the shops came home and put the heating on, heard a bit of banging and clanking which sounded like it was coming from airing cupboard where hot water tank is. Shortly after that boiler (baxi solo 2 50 pfwent out...

Turned it off for a bit and put it back on and it fired up however usually you can hear the heating but that noise is no longer noticeable.

If I switch hot water /heating on and it will fire up for a bit then make a banging noise and stop tried to video it.. Which you can see here..

Watch “Boiler” on Vimeo:

Appreciate any advice.

Sponsored Links
When mine does that, I have a Worscester Bosch Greenstar, it's always an airlock somewhere. It only happens after I have done some work on the heating or hot water system. I just run the taps and keep trying it. Eventually it does sort itself out. Someone will come up soon and tell me to get a plumber. At their silly prices you gotta be joking.

Chances are an air lock, is the system filling up fully from the tank or other filling device? Check around cylinder for a manual air vent.

Sponsored Links
Chances are an air lock, is the system filling up fully from the tank or other filling device? Check around cylinder for a manual air vent.

Not sure what i'd be looking for to be honest, i had a look up in the loft at the expansion tank and it was full of murky water... i cleaned it out yesterday using a couple of bungs when adding the inhibitor

Googled manual air vents and went for a look, couldn't see anything ..
IMG_20181125_171543.jpg

Have you removed the bung from f&e tank ? When you removed radiator ,did you drain down the c/ heating system ? Did you replace the radiator ,or left it off with just its two valves closed ?

Have you removed the bung from f&e tank ? When you removed radiator ,did you drain down the c/ heating system ? Did you replace the radiator ,or left it off with just its two valves closed ?
Yes bungs removed, i removed the rad by closing off valves (capping off both sides as well just to be sure) and left valves closed, also part drained a downstairs rad to create space for the inhibitor - opening bleed vale and inlet after to fill with water)

Did the tank in the loft allow fresh water in after the bungs removed? It is quite common for the downfeed to block on those air seprators ( the drum on the wall with several pipes attached) .

Did you bleed the pump of air ,is the pump actually spinning ?
As footprints said above those airjecs block up .
Seems to me that there is a lack of water in the system, or air present or possibly a pump problem.

Last edited:
Did the tank in the loft allow fresh water in after the bungs removed? It is quite common for the downfeed to block on those air seprators ( the drum on the wall with several pipes attached) .
The tank filled fine. I tied the ballcock during cleaning ..

Do you mean this drum (circled top left) as that was where I thought I heard the first banging coming from?

IMG_20181125_192906.jpg

Yes that is the air separator (airjec) but if the tank is emptying and refilling it is unlikly to be blocked.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back