Banging Boiler & Air in System

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies: I know next to nothing about heating systems, and the longwinded post!

I Have quite an old conventional heating system – wall hung boiler downstairs (the bit that looks quite old!), copper tank and cold water tank in the loft. Only had the house 6 months, and the boilers always had this problem.

When the heating’s been on for a couple of hours, all of a sudden the boiler makes crashing and banging noises like its going to explode – so we turn it off. I was told (in passing) that this would be due to a faulty thermostat.

Last week I had a new kitchen sink fitted and rather than turn something off in the loft the plumber just drained the hot water tank so that the tap wouldn’t leak whilst swapping the kitchen sinks over.

After he left I realised that the hot water pressure downstairs was terrible. So I googled the problem (as he couldn’t come straight back) and found someone suggesting that it would be air (I checked that the ball cock wasn’t stuck in the cold water tank in the loft by the way) in the system. To clear it I placed my hand over the mixer tap, turned the hot on (the really poor pressure) then the cold and waited for a bit. this really helped although there’s still a load of air in the system and the pressure on the hot is still only 50%.

Since I did this – the boilers only banged once????!?!?!

so

a) do you think that its purely an air problem?
b) And – how on earth do I get rid of the air – I’ve tried bleeding the radiators to no avail. :(

Sponsored Links
No body has replied because its not obvious what your problem is.

There should be no connection with the hot water and the heating system!

UNLESS you have a dreadful hot water cylinder which contains a primitive filling arrangement for the heating.

Does the cylinder say "Primatic" anywhere on it? Maybe stamped on the top seam somewhere?

Have you got a seperate feed tank for the heating? ( Little one ).

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back