banging/juddering toilet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This might sound strange, but I noticed over the weekend that when I flush my girlfreinds toilet there is a slight banging sound and this cistern judders when the flush button it pressed.

Does anyone have an idea what might be causing this, it's a flap valve flush rather than a syphon.

Sponsored Links
Is the cistern securely fixed to the wall ?

If it's a close-coupled one then there should be two screws at the back of the cistern near the top which should hold it against the wall.

Are the pipes that feed the cistern secure or do they move also ?

Hi

Thanks for your reply, in answer to your question the cistern is not fixed to the wall, I believe it was fitted by a plumber who was a bit of a cowboy and was obviously too lazy to drill two holes in the wall.

I guess you will suggest that screwing it to the wall may solve the problem, however the toilet has been in there for well over 15 months and this issue has only occured in the last week or so.

Not all cisterns are screwed to the wall - we have two that have no fixing holes and no mention in the instructions of having to fix to the wall. Been in use for 2 years with no issues.

Sponsored Links
You could put a couple of small dabs of silicone between wall and cistern as an easy fix (so you dont have to touch the water side of things)
Try holding cistern against the wall before hand just to see if it is a securing problem.
Only use a small amount of silicone otherwise you will struggle to remove the cistern if repairs are needed in the future

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back