Banging noises from GRP roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 36 sqm GRP warm flat roof that bangs when there is a large temperature variation during the day. It is worse in the evenings when the temperature is cooling and in the mornings when the temperature is increasing. I notice that there were threads running on this topic in several years but I cannot find if anyone came up with a solution.
Can anyone point me in the right direction

Sponsored Links
I had problems in 2013 to 2014. It was fixed after a lot of grief. In my instance, it was all to do with airspace.

The materials used were the same. The major difference has been to reduce the amount of air space, and so the roof is 4 inches lower than previously. This has removed the need for the long screws. The problem doesn’t seem to have had anything to do with dampness, cold deck or warm decks, or expansion joints. It seems to have been about the amount of airspace, what is in the airspace, and temperature changes. It is so peaceful suddenly.

Here is the explanation. I am not technical, but I do know that the problem was fixed, but the roof had to be rebuilt.

In simple terms, the new grp roof was originally built on top of the old boards. This is done sometimes so that it does not disturb the ceiling, possibly causing damage or cracks. The risk is that we must make sure that the screws have picked up the kingspan (foam installation) and the board. If this is not perfect, it may have been the cause of the noise.

There is another type of installation and this is to sit the kingspan in between your joists and then screw the boards down. This is what has been done now, and is the most common installation (probably referred to as standard). You still get the insulation and we know that the boards will not move.

Thanks for the feedback
I have a warm roof and the airspace is 200mm, which is the depth of the joists. Are you saying that I should fill this airspace with the insulation and do away with the insulation in the upper part of the warm roof. This would get ride of the need to use 150mm+ screws to fix the decking

Hi,

We are having the same problem with a flat fibre glass roof which was installed about 2 years ago.Initially we thought the noise would go away with time but unfortunately it hasn't. Did the solution involve re doing the entire roof? Thanks

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back