Bank Charges

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had to help a client today who had gone overdrawn by£483 and had incurred bank charges.
I spoke to the bank's rep who informed me that they would be charging the lady £252 per month in interest and other charges!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

Going against CAB policy I informed him that their charges were scandalous and that I would be advising my client to cloose her account immediately. That did the trick and he agreed to waive the 2 months fee and would change the account to a different one that only charges £15 per month if overdrawn.

Just goes to show what you can do when you challenge people.

I hate banks! :evil:

Sponsored Links
why go overdrawn by that much.. they were using the banks money.. not theirs

and afterwards sobbed at the cost...

it's quite feasible if you've a mortgage payment or several similar large payments going out and there's a mix up with getting paid etc..
if you're living on the line and doing a ballancing act each week / month then these things do happen..

the banks aren't allowed to "fine" you anyway and you can reclaim any payments you've been forced to make that were not charges..

Sponsored Links
I do not understand why ordinary wageearners need overdraft facilities. It can only mean that they are living above their means, which was the major cause of the credit crisis. An overdraft was a means for credit businesses to manage cash flow, not a means of borrowing, and if you exceed your limits you should pay. It is made perfectly clear by the banks when you arrange an overdraft what the rate of penalties is, and if you exceed it it is no ones fault but your own. If you need extra overdraft a phone call to the bank will extend your facility for a fixed period. In saying that I do believe that the whole banking system failed in its duty to check the ability of a borrower to service a debt and thus encouraged the belief that "money grows on trees" that has left a lot of people in debt.

Anyone who has a mortgage, is theoretically living beyond their means. They have had to have a massive loan to pay for the property. Worse still is the penalties for early payment.
A mate of mine is selling a property he has owned for the past 6 yrs. Although he will make a profit on the sale and intends to pay the mortgage off, the building society will penalise him very heavily for paying the mortgage off.
However,,, Had he had a bank loan to buy the property, he'd have received a rebate for early payment. Trouble is, they wouldn't give him a loan of £95,000 to buy the property. ;) ;) ;)

Bring back getting paid in cash and do away with monthly pay.

Don't know about other banks, this bit of info only applies to the black horse. If you go overdrawn and you haven't done so in the previous twelve months you can ask for any charges to be waived, BUT you have to ask. They won't tell you.

I spoke to the bank's rep who informed me that they would be charging the lady £252 per month in interest and other charges!!!!!!!!!!

that is not missing the odd payment.. that is abusing the bank...

I've no idea what his last name is...

he lives in wolverhampton..

did you ever finish that kitchen Carlos? you never put the pictures up..

I will put the pics up one day and thanks for your help. Sorry my lead did not pay off but it was done in good faith.

Don't know who this Ajstoneservices is though! :eek:

Sponsored Links
Back