Baptistery (think pond) Rendering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

We have a full size adult baptistery under the floor at Church (9ft * 5ft * 4ft deep) - was was once very large but at somepoint has been reduced in size by the addition of two new walls inside the exisiting ones which are nicely concrete rendered (as is the floor) and in good condition. The remaining two walls are in a very poor state and have lost quite a lot of what appears to be lime based render above the water line (when in use), below the water line is just about OK. We have a baptism next week and having whipped the cover off and tarted it up this weekend I've realised the time has come to do something.

I'm planning to strip all of this "lime" render, possibly re-build the two walls with concrete block, then render and paint.

So what render mix/additives should I be using?

I've seen some talk on pond/koi sites about plastic fibres to make a very strong render (modern equivalent of horse hair).

Steve

Sponsored Links
Well first make sure that you tie any blockwork into existing. Make sure existing is well tied itself. I would use a high newton block....say 10n.

I prefer movement joints in corners of this kind of work but don`t want to overcomplicate for you.

You could use chopped strand matt in first two coats but you may find it irksome to rub up on final coat. Good washed plaster sand or at a pinch make your own...........3 parts building and 1 concrete is a rough guide and should be strong enough to avoid cracking.

This is a decent method for your pool without breaking the bank.

Give it 3 coats render . 3 of sand one cement. Dont use water in mix . instead use SBR. Mix dry then add SBR TINY bit at a time. It will surprise you how it comes through if you aint used it. Keep mixing till consistency is good for render. Scratch coat .......then another..... then final coat which you can Derby and wooden float with sponge finish.

Technicaly coats should have a slightly weaker mix toward the finish........in a perfect world.

If you are draining pool between "Conversions" :LOL: This should be good enough.

Corrie

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back