bar pressure rates

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello, if my hot water flows at a rate of 8 litres per min and i have a mains cold water flow which should be good. what bar pressure mixer shower should i be going for to maximize the flow???don't want to buy something like a 10 bar rate if i don't have that rate and i don't want to buy 5 bar rate if i have a capacity for higher!!!!!

Sponsored Links
You specify the mixer from whatever is providing your hot and cold water. Have you got a combi? tanks in the loft or mains for cold?

hmmmm not sure what you mean!! i 'm puting in a mixer shower and i know the flow rate of the hot water coming from the hot water tank, the hotwater pipe is in place for the shower and it's 8ltr's per min,i'll be running a mains cold water pipe to the shower location,

Laffo, it sounds as if your going to mix mains pressure cold with tank fed hot. Not a good idea. Before you decide what sort of shower to get, you need to know what hot water pressure is available. This is the height from the shower rose to the bottom of the cold water tank that feeds the hot water tank. What is this height?

Sponsored Links
one metre i would say! whats wrong with mains cold water? i would plan to use a reducer to slow it down!

Most shower valves will not tolerate a pressure ratio cold:hot of more than 6:1. Your mains pressure is probably 25 times your hot water pressure. Also your hot water pressure (at 0.1 bar) is right at the limit of what most low pressure shower valves need.

I doubt whether a normal shower mixer will be satisfactory, even if you run a cold supply from the tank. I would consider a venturi shower (search for it), an electric shower or a power shower/pumped shower.

the amount of hot water from the pipe seems quite good is that a separate issue than bar pressure??

Hi,

yes the water pressure is:

Pressure = 998 x 9.81 x h

where h is the difference in height between your cold water tank and the outlet of the shower. the pressure will be calculated in pascals, just divide by 100000, and that will give you it in bar. (as 1 bar =10^5 pascals)

Lorraine

ok, thanks for all the info,lots to think about! i decided to test the flow rate on my electric shower i have in my bathroom (the other shower will be going in my en-suite) at best with a cold shower it spills out about 6 l/m which is less than just the hot pipe at the en-suite 8 l/m. so 8 l/m + whatever cold supply lets say gravety fead another 8 litres round it down to 15 litres of water going through the mixer per minute thats got to good enought for a good soaking
ps the electric shower is connected to what i think is the mains supply yet only 6 l/m comes out at best surprising !!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back