Base pattern showing through surface on new tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

finished my kitchen floor last night with 7mm thick tiles and it looked great, got back in there this afternoon and it appears that the tile surface is mottled due to what appears to be the pattern on the base of the tile showing through, perhaps this is moisture from the tile cement going off? Has anyone seen this before or know of it as i hope it fades as the tile colour is beige and these dark spots show pretty well!!

thanks for any advice

Sponsored Links
A similar problem to yours was posted on here within the past few weeks, and the opinion of most of the guys on here was, "give it time to see if it dries out ok, it can take a while, but most of the time it does".

Roughcaster.

Hi

finished my kitchen floor last night with 7mm thick tiles and it looked great, got back in there this afternoon and it appears that the tile surface is mottled due to what appears to be the pattern on the base of the tile showing through, perhaps this is moisture from the tile cement going off? Has anyone seen this before or know of it as i hope it fades as the tile colour is beige and these dark spots show pretty well!!

thanks for any advice

i would quickly pull all tiles off the wall, as fast as you can, no faster...... then call me to re do the whole job, i even have the shaky head and the phrase " i dont lke the look of this" down to a tee! maybe i should have been a mechanic!! ;)

" I would quickly pull all tiles off the wall,"

I've never heard of that as a cure for a floor tile problem but, perhaps, it would take Chewymix's mind off the other problem :D

Sponsored Links
" I would quickly pull all tiles off the wall,"

I've never heard of that as a cure for a floor tile problem but, perhaps, it would take Chewymix's mind off the other problem :D

yes i had been drinking! and i was only messing too!!! :LOL:

Jefoss, I think you need to work on technique - no mention of sucking through teeth in your assesement of works required.

Whenever I've had someone try to soften the blow of an unplanned work requirement - they typcailly suck through their gritted teeth, sometimes rubbing or scatching chin for added impact - almost whincing on my behalf - what considerate chaps these tradesmen are - seeking to "feel my pain"

thanks for the reply - i guess i have to wait and see with them, i have grouted them now anyway so fingers crossed!

moral of this story - dont use bucket adhesive muck, use bags

hey ho

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back