Centre of tiles and room asthetics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear All

Later this month, our kitchen floor is to be tiled. The tiles are 450mm x 450mm and are porcelain. They are varying shades of beige with colour variations and have a matt finish.

The kitchen is U-shaped in plan. On the length that connects the two sides of the U-shape there is a drawer unit, hood and hob all perfectly aligned in the centre.

It is certainly preferable from an aesthetic point of view that there is a row of tiles that have their middle in the middle of the drawer unit, hood and hob. After planning the tiles moving outwards towards the units on the other sides of the U, the central tile arrangement results in a quite wide tile where the tiles go under the kitchen unit plinths which I assume would allow for a less noticeable room runout. I believe that with the tile size we are going to use, this proposal would be better than a grout line down the middle of the drawer unit, hood and hob. A grout line down the centre may also result in two thin stips of tiles along the plinths, thereby giving a more visable run out.

Parallel with the kitchen is the main hall which has an entrance doorway to the house and staircase. The staircase has a 180degree bend midway, therefore meaning that half the stairs are visable from the front door when entering. The hall also has an interconnecting door between the hall and kitchen that is usually open. We would like the tiles of the kitchen to extend through from the kitchen into the hall giving a seemless look.

Not having a door bar/threshold strip between the kitchen and hall would certainly be preferable. Unfortunately, when having tiles that have a centreline down the centre of the hob, when extending through into the hall, the tile size does not then lend itself well to the hall “middle" thereby having very unequal small sections of tile at the walls of the hall.

Can anyone advise on a reasonable solution on how to ensure a “middle” of the kitchen lines up with a “middle” of an adjacent hall? I am considering cutting some of the tiles that pass through the doorway so they are slightly narrower (perhaps 450mm x 400mm) and then using the unprefered door bar (which I could make extremely narrow and colour of the tiles etc)

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated as this is causing a great deal of stress.

Many Thanks

Need Help21

Sponsored Links
Need - have you considered 'brick pattern' (or staggered grout lines) or diamond layouts? These could/will break-up your 'eye catching the grout line syndrome'. It would also be helpful if you could post a layout diagram to attract good advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back