Kitchen: Centre on cooker spashback or window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am tiling my kitchen wall and window recess with a small 7.5x15cm white subway tile, in brick effect, with 1mm spacer with white grout, up to (at this point) the height of the extractor hood. So the tiles will be the same height all the way around the wall, (10 rows). I have just laid them out to try and find the best starting point.

I am wondering if I centre the tiles on the window, or for the cooker splashback? If I centre on the window, then I get a full tile into the right corner (I will also be tiling the adjoining wall on the right), but an awkward 1.5cm sliver in the left. The left side is up against a larder cupboard so would be quite noticable as its not the corner of the room, nor against an adjoining wall that is getting tiled.

If I centre on the range cooker for the splashback, I get a good 7cm cut on the left, but a 3.2cm cut on the right, which is made more awkward since this adjoining wall on the right is also getting tiled.

Any other configuration and neither of the two main focal points of that wall will be centred, and I'll still be left with a sliver cut on at least one end.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Sometimes there has to be a compromise with the layout. The good news is that being white tiles and white grout the colours will blend together better and the 'bad cuts won't be as noticeable. Also being brickbond it will only be every other row which is affected.

With subway tiles try not to have a full tile into the corner. If you can lose the bevel it looks a lot better and you get a straight corner.

Sponsored Links
@JaimieH Yeah that’s true. I’m thinking of maybe centring on the window, since it’s permanent. The kitchen is new so I could argue that the range ain’t going anywhere for a very long time either.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back