Base rail to balustrade and newel post question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are fitting a return balustrade to the top of our loft stairs to form an edge guarding to the floor edge

It will be formed from timber - for the spindles is a base rail needed or is this just a time labour saving device? The detail feels a bit clunky. The floor isn't in yet and will be timber boards. It will feel nicer if the floor can carry on to the edge with a simple trim if needed.

Also we just want a plain square newel post (and spindles) is there anything special about a 'newel post' that you buy on line or from wickes etc. or is it just a piece of square timber. I was thinking I would just jet 100x100mm PAR post from the timber yard.

Thanks

J

Sponsored Links
There is nothing special about newel post no, only the design if required. The thing is that you will need to make sure that it is secured well as it gives the strength to your balustrading. I would personally go for the base rail also as it holds your spindles in place. if you can find another method of fixing them then carry on and do it, i don't know of any regulations requiring a base rail so long as your spindles are fixed well, perhaps housed into the flooring (going to tricky though)
To pass regs your spindles will need to be evenly spaced at no more than 100mm apart at the widest point and your handrail along a landing or stairs must be at a minimum of 900mm high (going up the stairs this should be measured vertically from the front edge of the tread)

Cheers

fine with all the regs/ball proofing stuff.

The 'post' will be notched over the floor joist and bolted/screwed through

I sleep on it and see if the base rail can be detailed so it finishes flush with top of floor so will be less clunky

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back