BASEC WARNING re arctic cable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Most wholesalers should have a copy up in a prominent position though the photocopied ones I've seen are crap. Ask to see their colour original.

Jeremy Hodge, chief executive for BASEC said: "Cable claiming 'arctic grade' performance needs to be suitable for use down to –25 °C, and therefore needs to be tested at –40 °C. There is cable on the market claiming to be 'arctic grade' which has been shown to have inadequate performance to be safe."
I don't believe that there is any official definition, or recognition in any standard, of the term "arctic grade".

If that's the case then any cable maker can label any cable as "arctic grade" because it is not a indication of any performance guarantee or methods of testing. On its own, with no accompanying specification to say what temperatures the maker considers it is suitable for use in, it is meaningless - they might as well just call it "bright blue PVC cable". People who buy cable with no BS number and no BASEC certification should think more carefully about what it is they are actually getting.

Sponsored Links
Jeremy Hodge, chief executive for BASEC said: "Cable claiming 'arctic grade' performance needs to be suitable for use down to –25 °C, and therefore needs to be tested at –40 °C. There is cable on the market claiming to be 'arctic grade' which has been shown to have inadequate performance to be safe."
I don't believe that there is any official definition, or recognition in any standard, of the term "arctic grade".

If that's the case then any cable maker can label any cable as "arctic grade" because it is not a indication of any performance guarantee or methods of testing. On its own, with no accompanying specification to say what temperatures the maker considers it is suitable for use in, it is meaningless - they might as well just call it "bright blue PVC cable". People who buy cable with no BS number and no BASEC certification should think more carefully about what it is they are actually getting.

Selective quoting again, what the man also said was;

"According to BS 7540-3 (Cables - guide to use), cable compliant with BS 7919 Table 44 is suitable for outdoor use in harsh environments, down to –25 °C, and to demonstrate this performance it is required to be cold tested at –40 °C. Regular flexible cable compliant with BS 6500 Table 27 is cold tested at –15 °C and is only described as suitable for indoor use down to +5 °C."

So for a -25 °C environment you use BS 7919 table 44 cable, and you do not use BS 6500 table 27 cable.

A clear unequivocal statement from the chief executive of BASEC.

Selective quoting again,
True - I selected what he said about "arctic" cable, which according to my eyes is what this topic is about.

what the man also said was...
What the man also said was stuff about certain BS cables, the performance of which is defined and guaranteed.

i.e. not about some random cable given a meaningless name by its maker which defines and guarantees nothing.

i.e. not about cables which are the subject of this topic.

One of us is losing the plot.

And it's not me.

You were the one who introduced the meaningless names.
The only meaningless name I have mentioned is "arctic", as in "arctic cables".

It was you who first used it, in the title of this topic, and it was you who posted a link to a BASEC website where the term was used.

Would you like to try again to work out who introduced it?

WTF are you talking about
I'm talking about BS 6500, 7919 etc cables not being of the type that this topic is about.

if you want to converse with people in the uk try speaking normal english.
I do.

Maybe one day you might like to consider learning to read it.

Hey BAS, its your patron saints day to-day, how you going to celebrate?

I'm hoping later on to read, with interest and edification, a cogent explanation from you as to how, when you create a topic called " BASEC WARNING re arctic cable", and you link to a document containing the term "arctic cable", I am responsible for introducing the term to the topic....

If the cable is sheathed in bright blue PVC then it is not meaningless to call it "bright blue PVC cable" - it's abundantly clear what it means, i.e. it has meaning, i.e. it is not meaningless.

So I'll ask you again - where did I introduce a meaningless name into this topic?

Holmslaw - you said that I introduced a meaningless name into this topic.

Rather than simply repeat the assertion that the name was "bright blue PVC" when I have already dealt with that will you please act like an intelligent, rational and logical adult and either

1) Explain why the term "bright blue PVC" doesn't actually mean anything

or

2) Show a genuinely meaningless name which I introduced

or

3) Admit that you were wrong.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back