Arctic Cable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Do I need to use arctic cable from an outside (switched) socket to my greenhouse?

The length of cable would be no more than 3 metres but probably closer to 2 metres. It would be left connected to the socket all of the time. Don't know if it makes a difference but I live in Yorkshire so the winters are milder than some further north.

Sponsored Links
It would be better to make a perm job of it if its connected all the time.

If you dont want to do that then make sure your arctic cable cant be damamged by spades, children, rats, etc.

Two things:
Will your socket be watertight with a plug in it??
Is the socket protected by an RCD??

It would be better to make a perm job of it if its connected all the time.

If you dont want to do that then make sure your arctic cable cant be damamged by spades, children, rats, etc.

Two things:
Will your socket be watertight with a plug in it??
Is the socket protected by an RCD??

When I said it will be plugged in all the time, that's not quite true, I will want to be able to unplug it a couple of times a year to plug in my hedge trimmer. There will only be about a metre of cable outside I can run it through some conduit and cover with some aggregate. There's only me and the wife and I'll know where it is, plus it will visibly come out of the greenhouse and from the socket. The greenhouse is also going to be changed at some point in the future so I don't want anything too permanent.

The socket is a Masterseal RCD IP56 and it comes off its own FCU and yes it is watertight.

Thanks very much for the safety advice, but back to my original question, does it have to be arctic cable?

Yes, its made for cold outdoor use. Down to -20ºC. Plain old PVC will crack up at low temps.

Not sure if arctic is UV stabilised (anyone??)
Normal PVC will break up in sunlight (in time).

Not that you'll get any sunshine in Yorkshire :LOL:

Sponsored Links
AFAIK arctic is UV stabilised, and therefore suitable for use outdoors.

However, it must NOT be buried, regardless of how short a run, conduits etc.

I wouldn't leave it on top of a lose surface because of the risk of it getting accidently burried, damaged by people stepping on it etc.

can you give us more information on what the physical layout of things is?

I wouldn't leave it on top of a lose surface because of the risk of it getting accidently burried, damaged by people stepping on it etc.

can you give us more information on what the physical layout of things is?

This old photo may help. The Weatherproof RCD socket is fitted to the stand where the hosepipe reel is. On the ground between the stand and the greenhouse is aggregate.
Garden41.jpg

What about if I cover it with one of those cable cover strips? Or any other suggestions.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back